CHAPTER FOUR

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

THE WORST FEAR she'd come to learn was to let someone die from her doing. When waking up from the darkness, Seraphina heard scuffling and murmurs of hushed conversations. Keeping her movements quiet, she slid her body lightly against the squeaky floor boards.

Another tall, cloaked man stood intimidatingly. Two familiar men were tied back to back, Seraphina tied separately. Only a flimsy wooden wall separated her as she scooted with careful movements to get closer to Leon and the other man they met earlier.

Come on, just a little more...

They stopped talking as soon as she paused to hold her breath. No. After assuming they heard nothing suspicious, they resumed speaking to each other. One voice stood out in particular, his deep baritone voice made her shudder. A voice devoid of emotion and emanated a creepy feeling.

"Feeble humans...let us give you our power."

From her view, she could see just their feet and Leon slumped against the other man's back. The hand held a syringe with an odd colored liquid. Needles never end well. Panicked in a lapse of her judgement, Seraphina rushed over with her body but hit the table.

Shit.

The sound of the table squeaking brought the attention of the group. On top, the unstableness threw off the flame lit lantern. Crashing onto the floor into glass shards, the noise alarmed the group. The greyish, corpse-like hand waved over in a motion to silence the excessive speaking.

"Let me deal with her."

Revealing himself, the man in the cloak towered over her like an dark, ugly shadow. His skin was colorless, as if he was rotting away. But the cloak didn't hide his awful, creepy features. This was not a human man, like the last tall one they unwillingly met.

On his right hand was a large staff, elegantly crafted and carved with perfection. It had a golden hue, slightly rusted at the edges with edge. A god, a deity in these villager's eyes. Instead of a scowl, his face was contorted to a wicked smile.

"Ah, yes, it is you. You have a use to be our test."

With a terrifying strong grip, he grasped her chin and raised Seraphina's face up. Crying in pain and all the ropes restricting her, she scowled furiously back at the leader.

"Let's inject her as well. See if she survives."

He must know there's something else in my body.

Seraphina gasped when seeing the large pointy needle aim for her instead. If she was going to die, it'd better be her, not Leon. Still, leaning back, her fears got the best and kept coming back.