88. I'm not like that

Start from the beginning

You just decide to give him space, not participating in any activity that he'd be a part of. Everyone decided to go hike on the huge rocks a couple miles away and at the last minute, you tell them that you won't go. Vinnie seems to be the only one who can tell that you're lying about the reason why.

Vinnie stares at you while everyone leaves out the door. Jett's voice gets both of y'all's attention and he gestures Vinnie to come on.

Now you're alone. Even with them gone, it still feels like there's not enough room in the house. You take a magazine outside to the backyard, loving the feeling of the Southern California air. You lay on a hammock that's connected to the house. After reading a few pages, you start to feel yourself drift off to sleep.

You have a bad dream. Vinnie is yelling at you and you're crying and have become a nervous wreck. He's never spoken to you like that before. Or to anyone. You don't even know what's he's mad at you for.

Eventually you're awoken by Jack, you knelt down next to you and rubbed your shoulder. Your eyes open and it takes you a moment to come back to Earth. Then your eyes start to water and they don't go unnoticed.

"What's wrong?" Jack asks.

"Just...not feeling that well today." You shrug.

"I'm sorry." Jack offers his hand to you to help you sit up. He sits beside you and starts talking about what happened on the hike, rambling and laughing about who did what and who said what. You couldn't lie, it did seem like they had a good time.

"Jack! Come on, DJ has-" Vinnie emerges through the glass slide door to find the two of you. "What's going on here?"

You avoid his face as soon as you see him. You know that your eyes are still probably red and wet.

"Nothing." You told him. Grabbing the magazine and getting up, you walk back into the house, awkwardly shuffling to pass him.

You smile at the happiness in everyone's voices when you walk into the kitchen. Eamon was asking everyone what they wanted for dinner.

Now this gathering was different from before. You can feel Vinnie's eyes on you again but you're still not ready to look at him. He's seen you cry before but you don't want him to know this time. Especially with that's going on between you two.

He doesn't say anything to you directly. He talks to everyone but Vinnie is so obvious about it. Glancing at you every couple seconds, sometimes in the middle of his own sentences.

Eventually they start to go off to do their own thing. Vinnie is still in the room and the wifi is shit. Twitter and Instagram won't load so now the settings on your phone look interesting.

"Y/N," he calls you, his voice deep. You look up at him.

"You wanna go for a drive?"

************

For the first ten minutes, he doesn't say anything. You mentally sighed, knowing that you'd now have to be the one to start the conversation. You also noticed that you were both wearing the same pair of beige cargo pants. It's like even when y'all were off, you were still in sync.

"Look Vinnie, I don't know what's going on but if we're just gonna keep beating around the bush, then we might as well go back to the house. I know you're upset but it's not fair for us to ruin the trip-"

"We're you crying earlier?" He cuts you off. "With Jack?"

"Uh, no."

He stops the car on the road by the beach. The sun was setting is the distance. He looks at you and you look at him.

"You basically said that I have a type and that it's not you. That couldn't be further from the truth. First, I don't have a type, okay? I've literally seen people make videos about me saying that I do and it's frustrating. I don't want you thinking that also. And second, even if did, why wouldn't it be you."

You shrugged. "I wasn't really thinking when I said it. I guess it was just my insecurities talking."

"Well it bothered me that you didn't think that I'd like you like that. You're awesome and everything I'd want in someone."

"Wait...so are you-"

"Yeah. This is me finally admitting my feelings for you. I would've told you the other day but that's when you said that and I acted like an asshole and overreacted. I'm sorry."

"I like you too. I just never said anything because...well, let me not repeat it."

You both felt a surge of dopamine rush through your body and make your hearts beat faster. But Vinnie started to get a little nervous. It was cute though. He started up the car, gave you a rub on the thigh and said,

"Let's get back to the house. Wouldn't want them worrying about us."