As he dug, He Changdi called out for the rest as loudly as he could.

Xiao Hongyu quickly noticed his actions and led a team over, equipped with shovels.

"Dig, dig right here! But be careful!" Xiao Hongyu ordered after seeing how frenzied He Sanlang's movements were.

The top layer of snow was quickly removed, and they finally saw what was underneath: two horses! Two dead horses, to be precise.

Xiao Hongyu stopped digging in disappointment, but He Changdi noticed that the horses' bellies had been sliced open.

His eyes lit up and he threw himself at the horses.

Xiao Hongyu thought that he had gone crazy because they had only found some dead horses. He hurriedly pulled him back and tried to persuade him in a mournful voice. "Brother He, don't lose hope! These are just some horses, but even though Sister-in-Law... Sister-in-Law isn't here, stay strong!"

He Changdi pushed the brat away and let out an angry roar. "What nonsense are you saying? Your sister-in-law is right here inside the horse's belly! Hurry up and help me pull her out!"

After Xiao Hongyu was pushed by He Changdi, he stumbled and fell into the knee-deep snow. It took him a moment to process the words before his expression turned into stunned astonishment. "What? Sister-in-Law is in the horse's belly!? The hell are you guys waiting for?! Quick, we have to save her!"

He Changdi pulled apart the horse's belly with his bare hands, only to discover the brothers Myeryen and Narisong curled up together within.

Even while hidden inside a horse's belly, they hadn't been completely shielded from the low temperatures outside. The two brothers had been sickly to start with, so they had already passed out by now.

He Changdi stared blankly at them for a second. When he finally recognised that they weren't Chu Lian, he turned to the other horse immediately.

Xiao Hongyu was already there with his men.

Once the horse's belly was opened, they found Chu Lian lying inside, hugging a barbarian woman.

Xiao Hongyu cried out in surprise before shouting, "Brother He, Sister-in-Law... Sister-in-Law is here!"

The moment He Sanlang had turned around, he had already seen Chu Lian lying in the middle of the horse's belly with her eyes shut. He pushed away the people surrounding the horse like a madman before throwing himself down on the ground next to Chu Lian. His hands shook as they reached out to embrace her, his heart in his throat. It was only when he felt the warmth of her body on his fingertips that his heart finally settled back down into his chest.

Chapter 402: In the Warm Pen (1)

Chu Lian had already passed out. Even though she had her fox fur cloak wrapped around her, she had still been affected by the cold since she had been lying on the outside.

He Changdi carried her in his arms like she was a rare, precious treasure. He hugged her tightly, as if afraid that she would disappear from his embrace if he loosened his hold even a little.

Chu Lian was all covered in blood and fluids from the horse's belly and she didn't smell very pleasant right now. However, He Changdi was able to ignore the nauseating odour completely.

He looked down at Chu Lian's bloodstained face and kissed her forehead gently.

Xiao Hongyu was so shocked by the sight that he stared in astonishment.

He recalled how Brother He had been so obsessed with cleanliness back in the northern border camp. When he looked at how Brother He was now carrying someone covered in blood and dirt, Xiao Hongyu felt like his image of him had been completely shattered.