Princess Wei gripped one of her handkerchiefs and thought for a moment. Then, to one of her senior servants, she instructed, "Send someone to take a look. If there's really something that can't be resolved, report back to me."

Chu Lian was taken to another wing of the side hall by Muxiang. She went further in as Muxiang turned back around to shut the doors tight. As expected, there was Matriarch He, sitting by the table with Madam Zou standing next to her respectfully.

Muxiang led Chu Lian over to Matriarch He, only to see Matriarch He slam her cane on the ground and shout, "Dalang's wife! What is going on here? How could you have lost our round cakes?"

Madam Zou lowered her head, face pale as she replied to the matriarch with a trembling voice. "Grandmother, when Granddaughter-in-Law left the estate, Granddaughter-in-Law checked through everything personally. When Granddaughter-in-Law entered the palace, our round cakes were still there. They only disappeared once Granddaughter-in-Law entered Ninghe Palace... Granddaughter-in-Law... really doesn't know where they went..."

Matriarch He banged her cane on the floor again, restraining the urge to hit Madam Zou with it instead.

"Dalang's wife, tell me! When you entered the palace, who was holding onto that box of round cakes?"

Although the palace was hosting a Mid-Autumn Banquet today, the noble madams of each estate were not allowed to bring just anyone with them. Someone of Madam Zou's rank was only allowed to bring in two servants at most.

She had brought her most trusted senior servant and handmaid, Senior Servant Qiao and Jinshui.

This whole matter was extremely suspicious, so Madam Zou didn't dare to hide anything. However, she also wanted to protect her own servants. After mumbling for a bit, she didn't say anything concrete. Chu Lian was starting to frown as she watched on from the side.

"Madam Zou! Look at what has happened! Are you not going to answer me? Are you trying to bring down our entire family?!" Matriarch He was usually amiable, and she rarely lost her temper like this. Years of accumulated stress poured out all at once, even scaring Chu Lian, let alone the guilty Madam Zou.

"Grandmother, please calm down! Granddaughter-in-Law will say it! It was... It was Granddaughter-in-Law's Jinshui..."

Once Madam Zou had given a name, Senior Servant Zhou, who served Matriarch He, immediately shouted, "What a daring servant! Even after committing a crime, you're still refusing to admit to it? Kneel down at once!"

Jinshui was already afraid since she had lost the estate's round cakes. Now that she was being shouted at by Senior Servant Zhou, her legs turned to jelly and she collapsed on the ground. She tried and failed to support herself with her trembling arms a few times before she finally managed to crawl over to Matriarch He.

"Matriarch, Matriarch, please have mercy on this servant! This servant... this servant didn't lose the box on purpose. This servant was carefeully holding onto the box while following Eldest Young Madam into Ninghe Palace. When this servant was turning a corner, a eunuch suddenly pushed this servant. This servant smelled something strange and immediately fainted. When this servant came to, the box was gone! That eunuch had also disappeared. Matriarch, this servant... has been caught in someone else's schemes!"

Chapter 202: Offering Round Cakes (2)

Chu Lian's brows furrowed together. In these circumstances, this Jinshui probably wasn't lying. She was Madam Zou's trusted handmaid. Madam Zou wouldn't be so silly as to shoot herself in the foot.

If it wasn't Madam Zou, then it had to be someone else. When Chu Lian thought of that strange smirk that Imperial Princess Leyao had sent her earlier, she felt completely helpess inside.