Welcome to Wakanda

Start from the beginning

At Bucky's nod of acquiescence T'Challa grinned as he nodded his permission and let them know that he was ready to leave whenever they were. Gently grasping her elbow Steve told the others they needed a minute to talk. Seeing the look on his face Bucky and T'Challa wisely kept their comments to themselves as he escorted Ronnie away from them. Walking over to the quinjet he led her up the ramp and inside for some relative privacy. When Loki sees the serious expressions on their faces he makes himself scarce, telling them he was going to have a little chat with the Baron. Not sure what that meant and not really caring at the moment he ignored the threat lacing the Asgardian's eager voice.

Once they were finally alone Steve slid his hand down from her elbow to clasp their hands together. "Ronnie, I know you want to protect Buck, but I can go with him. You should go back to New York and be with Tony to deal with the fallout of all of this."

Stubbornly shaking her head Veronica glared up at him trying to take her hand back. When he refused to let her go her eyes filled with tears. His heart aching for her, he pulled her close as he pressed his free hand to the back of her head to rest her cheek against his chest. "I'm going with him and not just to protect him, but because I'm not ready to deal with all of this and what's waiting for me back home. I'm tired Steve. Tired of being the strong one who everyone relies on to clean up the messes. Tony, Pepper, the other's.. you. You all can manage it all without me for a little while."

Running his hand through her hair the way she liked in a bid to comfort her he said, "That's not what I meant at all and you know it. I meant the emotional fallout. You and Tony need to talk and not just to each other, but to Dr Kent or someone who can help you with your grief."

Continuing to keep her face pressed to his chest Veronica's words come out muffled. "Tony is always just a phone call away and he knows I am the same for him. As for grief counseling that will be handled when I get back. Right now Buck needs me and I need a break away from New York, the Avenger's and I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but from you as well. I think in the long run some space apart will do everyone some good."

Space, she wanted space? How much more space did she need? She'd kicked him out of their home, ran away to the Tower to avoid working at the Compound with him and then had readily thrown her life away to go on the run for who knows how long without a backwards thought. No. He was done acquiescing to her demands for more distance between them. If she wanted space then she could have it, he would be on the same damned continent as her. Grasping her small shoulders in his large hands he pushed her back enough to look down into her confused eye's.

"Fuck your space. I'm done with you running from me, Veronica, do you hear me!" Giving her a little shake to emphasize his point Steve went off on her like he's never done before.

"Whether you allow me to willingly come or I have to cuff you to my god damned side you and I are going to work through this. If I've lost your love.. it'll break my heart, but I'll survive. I refuse to lose your friendship, that I know I can't survive. I know if you take off without me that when you get back it'll really be over for us. I can feel it in my bones and refuse to lose you." At his outburst her expression of shock turned to sadness before her stubbornness settled in.

Trying and failing to get him to let go, Veronica's eyes narrowed up at him in anger. While he didn't like her angry at him he would take it if it meant the lifeless look of grief and defeat left them. "I won't stop you from coming to support Bucky, but I refuse to talk about us unless I'm ready to. You can't force me to work through the damage you caused because you're afraid."

Jaw clenching Steve ground his teeth together and did something probably incredibly stupid, but the only thing he could think of at the time. He kissed her. No, kiss was too soft a word. Too kind and sweet. What he did was ravage her mouth with his. Picking her up Steve kept one hand on her neck and jaw, his fingers speared through her hair as his other held her up around her waist. At first she bit his bottom lip hard enough to draw a little blood, but when he refused to stop Ronnie sunk into him with a moan. Lifting her legs she wrapped them around his waist as her arms came up around his neck as she deepened their kiss, her hands gripping his hair almost this side of painful. He didn't care let her work her anger out on him, he was just as angry and hurt.