Chapter 15: A Time to Recover

Start from the beginning

She chuckled then stopped as she noticed his arm not in a sling. Blood was stained on his bandage, showing his wound bled through it. "Your arm-"

"I know. Tech already gave me the lecture for straining myself," Hunter assured her. "It just broke the scab open. No major tissue damage. I'll live."

She couldn't help but find his humor to be quite unqiue. What a good soldier...what a good man.

Tech finished his side of work and stood up. "So that is about all I can do for right now. I'm afraid a proper shower is best but for now let the solution give the initial healing treatment."

Kira nodded. "Thank you, Tech. How are the others?"

He opened his mouth to respond but caught a soft glare from Hunter. Kira didn't need to stress over Echo. Tech had some work to do on the mechanics that kept Echo running. "They are...recovering well. Nothing you should be concerned with. Rest up and I'll give you a better scan in the morning for anything more serious." He collected his equipment and left the room.

Rose gently kissed her daughter's head. "Kaiden and I are just a call away. Don't hesitate."

"Thanks, Mom." Kira tried to settle down and get as comfortable as she could. The treatment was numbing some of the pain she had so she took that as a sign it was working.

But as the three prepared to leave, she grew nervous again. "Wait!" She swallowed at seeing their eyes on her and shrunk down some under the covers. "Who is...going to protect you? If he comes back, I mean. I-I can't...lose you..."

"Rest assured Crosshair is on lookout and taking turns with Kaiden," Tech answered. "There is no way Storm could sneak up on us again. They're watching the skies and the forest."

Kira didn't seem so sure of that. She kept glancing at the window right above her bed, seeing the now eerie sky. She could feel herself unable to relax, imagining Storm's shadow appearing and then breaking in-

"Kira?"

She gasped as she broke from her thoughts. "What's wrong?! He's back?!"

Rose sighed and came back to the bed. "Nothing, dear. You need to sleep or your body won't heal."

Kira's eyes watered. "But...he could come back..." They all were vulnerable if she slept. The Force warned her before. How could she even help fight in this state?

Rose couldn't promise that the Inquisitor wouldn't try again tonight or some other night. Maybe the Empire would be the next ones knocking on their door. Her poor daughter was so traumatized. "Honey, I really think you should just try to sleep."

Kira kept looking at the window. Even if the curtains shut, it wouldn't make her feel better. She just wouldn't see Storm coming. "I don't think I can. I need to be here to help..."

Hunter cleared his throat, as he hasn't left the room yet. Tech did, mostly because Echo was in need or he would have stayed longer. "If I may suggest something?"

Rose hummed and nodded. "Speak freely."

"If Kira is uncomfortable sleeping in here by herself, I volunteer to keep her company." He paused as he realized how that sounded. "What I mean is something opposite of what came to your mind..." He grabbed a chair and dragged it over to Kira's bed then sat down. "I'll stay up tonight and watch the skies, make sure nothing happens. Then I'll wake Kira if I sense a threat. She can sleep then."

Kira seemed hesitant. "But how will you sleep?"

"I'm not, you are."

"Hunter, I can't ask you to do that for me..."