Zebras for the Feast. Namaqua Khoikhoi. Pleiades+Orion +Aldebaran

(Full disclosure: In the original story all the daughters are married to the hunter. I've elected to downplay that detail.)

Above us are seven beautiful sisters, these best friends are clustered tight together so they'll never be apart and tend to be quite shy. You'll notice they seem brighter when you don't look directly at them directly (Pleiades). These sisters are the daughter of the sky god Tsui and were beloved by all.

There was one young man in particular who loved them all very much, one night he decided he would treat them all to a magnificent feast. The sisters requested three zebras for this feast, they wanted enough for the whole sky to feast. The young man was so stressed about hunting for the entire sky that he forgot his arrows and was left with only one from his last hunt.

When he arrived on the savanna he realized his mistake. Determined still, he decides he will shoot one zebra at a time and retrieve the arrow each time. It's laborious, it's true but the shame of returning to the seven sisters without three zebras was inconceivable.

Finally, three large zebras stood in a perfect line before the young hunter (Orion's belt) and he got ready to take his shot. The stress of the feast rattled his nerves though and his first shot went wide, landing in the high grass (arrow is Orion's sword).

Dang it! The young hunter moved to retrieve it but his stomach sank. Oh no. Right there, crouching in the tall grass was a ferocious lion! (Betelgeuse)

The arrow was too close to the lion to retrieve it without becoming the feast! He would get eaten alive! The young hunter could not return to the sisters or the feast, he was too ashamed! They would be furious! He was trapped between shame and getting eaten.

Now he stays in the sky, stuck between the savanna and the seven sisters (Aldebaran= hunter).

So even now the young hunter is stuck, hoping the lion would leave. But it never does. He made the choice to live out his days cold, alone, and ashamed.