Chapter 3 - Galeophobia

Começar do início

The ocean around us grew dark, and I'm losing a lot of blood. My mind is racing. I need to focus. I need to get myself out of its mouth. Despite all the thoughts that I'm going to die here, and that I can't do this, I took a deep breath, and focused so that I could feed this thing a blast of light right down its throat.

As I let out the blast of energy, the shark reeled back in pain, and its jaws were loose enough that I was able to get my arm out. As soon as I did, I flew back above the ocean, and flew back to Kozushima, landing as soon as I could.

Grimacing from the pain, I headed as far as I could from the waves before I sat and leaned against a building. I clutched my arm and tried to calm my breathing. I can get some medical help later. But I need to focus now, and while the ring helps slow the blood loss, I need to figure out how I can beat the thing like this.

<Willpower>

As I sat there, I heard the front door of the house open. Oh great, I guess I'm gonna have to explain why I'm bleeding out on their house. The person who stepped out of the house was a girl with long purple hair, whose eyes widened after she saw me.

"Are you okay?" she said as she headed over to me.

"I've certainly been better, that's for sure." I said

"I'll go grab something to stop the bleeding." She said

"Unless it'll stay on while I'm in the ocean, I wouldn't." I said

"What are you talking about? You need help." she said

"Let's just say I'm attempting to be a hero and deal with the five meter shark monster in the water." I said

"You mean that the attack in the ocean earlier was that thing?" she said

"Yeah, and I'd like to deal with it, but my first attempt didn't go well and now I'm trying to figure something out." I said

"How are you going to fight something like that?" she asked "Do you have a weapon or something?

I raised my hand, showing the ring on my finger, making it glow slightly with emerald light "This is my weapon. With it I can fly and do all sorts of stuff."

The girl looked at it and said "I see. Well then, if I can't do anything to stop you, I'll at least help you if you need any info on the island."

"Sounds like a plan. So what's your name?" I said

"I'm Mao Hiiragi. What should I call you?" she said

"I... haven't figured that out myself yet. How about for now you just call me Lantern?" I suggested

"Alright." she said as she sat down beside me "But are you really sure you'll be okay without help?"

"I think so. I'm still new to all this, but it seems like the ring slows down things like this, so I should hopefully be okay." I said.

Still, I don't know how many more injuries like that I'm gonna be able to take in round two. I was already caught off by it when I saw it, but I feel like I was more panicked by it than I already would have been. Plus I wasn't ready for it to come at me from above like that. With how little experience I have right now, I need to limit its mobility in some way. I mean I could try dragging it out of the water somehow, but it might go after people if I take it anywhere populated.

"Hey, are there any people who live closer or in the wooded areas?" I asked

"Near the entrance to the woods there are a couple people, but not really any deep in the woods. But wait, if you're going to try and take it into the woods, how are you going to get it there?" Mao said