Chapter Five: The Exercises

Pieces played in this chapter: 24 Préludes (Chopin) and The Art of Fugue (Bach)

When Miss Kincaid leaves, he feels something off about the room he now sits in. Although it's vacant with the only exception being him, he can still faintly hear the music ringing off the walls, the conversations between him and the lady still running through his head as if she's there, still communicating with him telepathically.

The thing that sticks with him most, is that she doesn't know him. He has the chance to begin a friendly relationship with someone who is unaware of the rumors surrounding his name, the true reason why he has to escape from the public, and why he needs to hide away for his own sanity. She looks at him without a thought about his reputation in her head, no previous knowledge of him, his engagements, his life outside of music. It's what he's always wanted isn't it? Someone who looks at him and sees his achievements and not his faults.

It can be argued that Harry has many faults, and they especially show through in his relationships, friendly or personal ones. There must be a reason for them to show them, and he decides at that moment he will take advantage of the situation with Miss Kincaid. A clean slate is what he's been given, and he'll be damned if he doesn't take full advantage of it.

But, how much longer until she is made aware of his past? How much longer until she realizes it's not right for her to be seen with him? How much longer until he's ruined her reputation as well, just by mere association? These lessons must remain private or the public will assume the worst about them. He must hide further into his shell, making no unnecessary trips outside the estate.

But as he's packing the rest of his sheets away, he remembers what Miss Kincaid had told him about the restaurant. He'd be lying if he didn't feel the slightest bit of curiosity at how awful this restaurant might be treating his piece. Maybe he'll go.

The idea of going may not have been attractive before, but he suspects that the thought of seeing a certain Scottish woman at the restaurant makes it all the more appealing.

***

The following night, Roger looks at the master of the house apprehensively. "Good evening, sir," he says, watching Harry fix his gloves over his fingers. "Shall I call for a carriage?"

Harry turns to look in the foyer mirror. "Should I cancel my night out?"

His butler's eyes widen. "Not at all, sir. I can get a carriage ready within moments."

"Be honest with me. Is this a bad idea?"

"Sir, I admire your bravery."

Harry can't help but snort. "Bravery," he repeats, buttoning his coat. "This is nothing like real bravery. But yes, please get a carriage ready as soon as possible. Preferably before I change my mind."

Roger steps back and begins to head outside. Harry hasn't made use of his horses since the ball, and guilt settles into his stomach. They must be restless.

The carriage is prepared just moments later and he finds himself ushered into the carriage by Roger before he's able to change his plans, but he's grateful of his butler's actions. Harry requires that firm push, and he's more than happy to supply it at the most convenient of times.

The restaurant isn't far at all, but every minute passes slowly. He continues to put distance between him and his house, but it doesn't feel comforting.

He recognizes the restaurant from years ago when he sold a few of his pieces, just getting his name out there. He must have been 23 or 24, and he hasn't been at this particular place since then.

Harry steps out of his carriage and instructs the coachman to stand by since he doesn't plan to stay long. He removes his hat as he steps into the warm restaurant and then peers at the diners.