The Final Memory

Petrich stood at the closed door of Nora's bedroom.  Everything was happening just as they had both feared. He was having to steal away in the middle of the night.
Nora would wake to find nothing, other than a memory. After only a few weeks, the memory would start fading. By winter, she would have no memory of him at all.
This was for the best, of course. She had no business pining for him. She needed the chance to be free without the sense of loss. Perhaps even saying good bye would be unwise.
Petrich turned away from the door to find Benedict carrying the last of his equipment. Benedict stopped and stared at Petrich.
"Don't even THINK of leaving without telling her." Benedict growled quietly.
He said it in such a way that Petrich was stunned. "You have no idea what damage you'll do if you don't." Benedict continued, "So, just do it and make it snappy."
Petrich nodded and gently opened Nora's door. She was sleeping, the moon lighting up her face where she lay just as he had seen it many times out on the balcony reading the stars.
He knelt beside the bed. "Nora. . ." he said quietly,"Nora, darling, I. . ."
Her eyes fluttered open and blinked to focus, then she gasped and sat up. "What's happened?"
"There's been a real threat. I have to go."
"Yes, you do. I've already got my things. Give me just a few-"
Petrich caught her as she tried to quickly hop out of the bed, but she struggled against him until he grasped both of her wrists and brought them behind her back. "No." he said firmly, "You can not go, Nora. You knew this."
"But we are bound. You need me, Petrich. Please!" she cried, beginning to sob.
"I know. If you were of age and the contract sealed, then yes. You would have to go with me. But you are not! I am sorry." Petrich slowly let go her wrists and held her, giving her time to control her sobbing. "But when you do come of age, I will come after you and we'll finish the contract together and seal it. I shall be at your coming out ball. You most likely will not remember me but I will be there regardless. Alright?"
Nora shook her head against him. "I will NEVER forget you. Never! How could I?"
"I know it doesn't seem possible but, you will. I intentionally left the skeleton unfinished in order for you be able to forget quickly. When you are of age, if I have to win you all over again, then I will."
"That is the most cruel thing I've ever heard." Nora replied miserably.
"It is," Petrich agreed, "but in it you'll be able to choose for yourself without any obligation to me."
"But won't you forget me, just as you say I will forget you?"
Petrich sighed. "No. Now that I know who is bound to me, I will never NOT know for the rest of my life."
"And that is even more cruel!"
"Yes." Petrich held her away from him, "I must go now, darling." He kissed Nora's tear streaked cheek. "But I promise I'll see you again."
         He made to move out of her arms, but she caught him about the neck. "I refuse to forget you, Petrich Ivan Hollenburg, because I'm the one who loves you." 
        It was almost too much to bear. If only you were of age, my darling, it would not have to end this way.
       Nora was back in her bed, holding Petrich's hand when they heard a soft knock and Benedict's voice came through the door. "Come on! Gotta catch a boat!"
        Petrich kissed her hands and stood to leave. By the time he reached the door, he heard Nora begin to sob again.

   TO BE CONTINUED UNDER THE TITLE:
"ESCAPE TO ECARTE ISLAND"