Chapter 8 - Are You Ready?

Start from the beginning

They shuffled away and I turned. I saw Hux staring out a window. He was pleased. I nodded at him, then turned back to my work. If he would either use these ships or put them into rotation, I wouldn't even have to be doing this. If he can't handle running a base this large, he should be finding people who can.

I grit my teeth in realization. That's exactly why he was pleased—he had found someone. What a shame he'd one day be taking commands from me.

-----

Eight hours later I sat at a workstation, trying to get a better understanding of the working of Starkiller base. It really wasn't bad, but I was going to make it better.

"Captain," I stood up at the voice.

"Hello, General," I said, bowing my head. He looked me over, and I waited patiently.

"You've impressed me, Rjea."

"Thank you, sir. But I'm just doing my job."

"Walk with me." I picked up my datapad and fell into step next to him.

"You spend time with Ren." Are you jealous, sir? I wanted to reply. Reigning myself in, I nodded.

"I do, sir."

"And his Knights."

"Yes, sir."

"He's been much more tolerable since your arrival."

"Are you sure, sir? He's still pretty brooding." I felt his humor, but he remained neutral.

"Yes well, that's a dark lord for you."

I chuckled. "I suppose so." Does the man know many dark lords?

He stopped and looked hard at me. "You're force sensitive, aren't you?"

I smiled ever so slightly. There was no point in lying. If he told the Supreme Leader, he would lose my services—and Kylo would kill him. "Yes, sir." He nodded, thinking about something.

"Well. I'm impressed with your work. I have no intention of losing you to become his apprentice. I believe you're a good asset for the First Order as you are."

"I agree wholeheartedly, sir. I have no interest in becoming a dark lord. But if you ever need my services in battle, do not hesitate to reach out. I assure you, I'm as good with a weapon as with a TIE."

He nodded, pleased at the thought of having someone with special talents on reserve that wasn't Kylo Ren. It seemed he hates Kylo as much as Kylo hates him.

"I will keep that in mind. You're dismissed, Captain."

"Have a good evening, General." I said, and left the hanger.

I was thoroughly exhausted, but I went to the Knights training room regardless.

"Hey boys," I said, tossing my cloak to the ground. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get warm on this damn base.

"Hey, looking good Captain," Cardo said when I took off my overshirt.  I chuckled.

"I know, I look better in white. Okay, what's first?"

"I thought we could just work on basic fighting styles." I smirked. You mean the ones my mother and father have already taught me? I picked up the staff he pointed at and spun it, memories flying through my brain. I hadn't actually sparred with the men yet, other than my one time with Vicrul. They had no idea what I was capable of.

Ushar stood in front of me with his own staff. "Okay, show me your ready stance."

I dropped lightly, getting into position. He nodded, looking a little impressed. I knew my positions were perfect, down to the millimeter.  "Good. Stance one."