Chapter Eleven: "Snowed In"

Start from the beginning

Jack's heart went out to him, raising a hand to stroke his fingers over Mark's cheek. Trying to be gentle, he asked him a little confused. "But... I thought they turned you? Why would they turn you away?" Mark grabbed Jack's wrist, pulling it from his face, when he finally looked up to answer in a broken voice. "You can't be turned into a werewolf, Jack. It's something you're born with. It's like a second puberty. It hits people at different times, but when it does. It is always the night before the rising of a full moon morning... that's when the woods call you home. And when the dawn rises... for that whole day... you're reborn. Any transformation after the first is nocturnal based. I don't know why." Jack turned his hand over to hold Mark's wrist, staring into his bright watery yellow eyes. Looking to their embracing hands, Mark added gruffly. "They reject me because they can smell the human in me. I'm not pure. My father was human, and my mother wasn't. She was a purebred like them. So, they call me a mutt and want nothing to do with me." Mark released Jack's wrist, telling him softly. "Now you know." Mark tried to slip around him, but Jack set down his basket and moved into his path.

Wrapping his arms around his neck, Jack hugged him and whispered against his ear. "I accept you as you are." Mark hugged him back, before carefully prying him off to say a bit grimly. "You say that... but you haven't seen ALL of me." Mark shook the snow from his hair, walking off. Snatching up his basket, Jack jogged after him, stating out defiantly. "I haven't seen it YET. But on a full moon. Show me. I think my reaction might surprise you." Mark snorted, turning his eyes on Jack as he retorted through a sarcastic grumble. "I'd never expose you to that." Jack rolled his eyes, telling him bluntly. "I've come face to face with a werewolf before. And it was out to kill me! I think I could handle you." Mark suddenly grabbed his arm, pulling him close before pushing him up against a hillside. Jack dropped the basket, his hands grabbing the rocky wall to keep himself upright in the uneven snow. Bracing his hands over his shoulders, Mark brought his face closer to his as he told him seriously. "What makes you think that I can control myself? Especially around you. I told you that you bring something out in me... you really want to find out what that is at the cost of your life?"

Jack blushed; he hadn't thought about that. Wincing a little, he was about to apologize, but found himself asking instead. "Can you control yourself?" Mark narrowed his dark eyes on him, whispering lightly. "I think you're missing the point." Jack shifted his feet to stand up better, before whispering back coolly. "I understand perfectly. But I'm asking. Can you?" Mark stepped back from him without a word. Jack saw a tiny smirk pull at his lips though, when he snatched up the basket and continued walking. Jack smiled to himself, then jogged off after him. Reaching out to take the basket from him, Jack's fingers brushed over Mark's. For a few seconds their fingers intertwined before he let go. Jack swung his basket a bit, his attention drawn to the way Mark was dressed. He hadn't really noticed before, but he was dressed nice. He usually wore clothes that were comfortable and easy to work in. Most of his clothes worn and patched were the wood or tools he worked with cut or nicked them. These looked new. The dark shirt beneath his open flannel sweater stood out against the bright colors of the snow and his hair looked fluffy and groomed. It was a good look on him. He'd always seen Mark as his age but dressed like that he looked older. More mature and confident.

They continued to walk along the road, when Jack noticed that the animals stopped making any noise. Pointing it out to Mark, Mark stopped to listen before telling him uneasily. "The temperature is dropping... The storm will hit in a minute." Sure enough, the wind began to pick up and Jack stopped walking to shiver as the cold cut right through him. The snowflakes clung to his clothes, making the chilling cold seep right through his thin pants. The storm was fast approaching now as thick grey storm clouds shrouded the night sky. Jack couldn't believe how brutal the snowflakes in the wind were. Mark hung back to walk with him, trying to block the wind from hitting him, but even Mark started to shiver as he told him a bit anxiously. "This is another reason why I wanted to take the shortcut... We're going to get caught in the middle of this." Jack huddled close to Mark as the trees swayed and the wind grew loud enough that it started to whistle between the trees. They walked on a bit further, before Jack started to chatter out. "M-m-mark? Any c-c-chance we can t-t-take that s-s-shortcut now?" Mark sneezed, then raised an arm to keep the snowflakes from hitting his face. Shivering, Mark managed to tell him over the wind. "Too fucking late for that."

Jack pulled his hood down to keep it from blowing back as he shouted out desperately. "I was wrong, ok! Let's go back!" Mark glanced around, then grabbed his arm and pulled him off the road. Stepping into the deep snow, Jack whined as his legs buckled from the cold. He was losing feeling in his legs and fingers. Shaking snow off himself, Mark quickly scooped Jack up and carried him as fast as he could to a little cave set into a hole in the ground. Setting Jack down, Mark peeked inside the cave, before pulling Jack in out of the wind. Jack stood shaking violently but was thankful to have the wind and snow off him. Mark pulled him toward the far back of the cave to where there was more dirt than rock. Huddling up in the corner, Jack curled himself up to try and regain some body heat. While Mark collected some broken sticks and roots from around the carve. Getting them all together, Mark worked to make a fire with a flint and steel that he pulled from his pocket. Jack was going to ask about it, but Mark beat him to it as he got the fire going and informed him with a chuckle. "I learned this the hard way too. Always carry it when I go out here. Makes cooking my kills that much faster."

Jack smiled, watching him work the fire into a nice crackling campfire. Jack quickly rushed to the fire, but Mark grabbed him to keep him back before he got too close. Jack was just so desperate for the heat that wanted to get as close as possible. Mark took his hands though to keep him from practically putting them into the fire. Holding Jack's frozen fingers, Mark told him calmly. "Easy. You want to warm up slowly. Your blood gets thicker in the cold. Warm your blood too fast and your heart could give out." Jack raised an eyebrow, prompting Mark to add a little guiltily. "Something I overheard the doctor say once. Freezing to death is pretty common way to go here apparently. If you aren't... eaten by wolves first." Jack chuckled lightly, his fingers already feeling warmer in Mark's hands. Filled with regret though, he told Mark weakly. "I'm sorry. I should have listened to you..." Mark rubbed Jack's hands, telling him rather nicely. "It's alright. We all have our moments. Nothing we can do now except wait it out." Jack shook his head, mumbling out with disappointment in himself. "I should have known better... I just... I wanted..."

Mark lifted his chin, finishing sweetly. "You got excited and wanted to see her. I get it. I was overwhelmed by the woods on my first time out. I got so excited that I fell into a mud hole and played in it in the middle of a rainstorm. When I finally cleaned myself off and got my butt home... I was so sick the next day that you couldn't get me out of bed." Jack shared a light chuckle with Mark, before Mark asked him softly. "Feeling better?" Jack still felt cold, but he was no longer shaking or chattering when he spoke. So, he nodded to him. Letting go of his hands, Mark gestured for him to try warming them by the fire now. Sitting at a better distance, he propped his hands out to feel the warmth. Mark did the same, then looked out at the blizzard just outside the cave. Shaking his head, he told Jack softly. "Besides, even if we had taken the shortcut... We still would have gotten stuck in this. Maybe it was better we did it this way. More caves on this route." Jack wasn't sure if he was just trying to cheer him up or really meant it, but it made him feel better. Trying to lighten the mood in return, Jack chuckled through a light blush. "I guess you were right."

Mark turned furrowed brows on him, causing Jack to playfully admit. "What you said before about snuggling up in a cave? I'm glad I chose you." Mark grinned with a slight blush of his own. After the warmth settled in, Jack began to yawn. The dark atmosphere of the cave mixed with the warmth and sounds of the blizzard was making him sleepy. He'd never stayed up so late before and just sitting around wasn't helping. Mark sat propped up against the wall, his eyes closing but his deep humming echoing throughout the little cave to a nice slow song. He only stopped when Jack yawned a little louder and started looking of a place to lay down, upon asking. "Do you think the storm will let up soon?" Mark didn't answer for a moment to look outside, before telling him. "Not likely. Which is bad because we're going to run out of firewood soon." Unbuckling his cloak, he draped it over himself like a blanket and asked Mark curiously. "Well, I think I might try to sleep. Wanna share my body heat before we lose the fire?" Mark looked a little reluctant, before crawling over to lay behind him. Jack made sure he was able to share his cloak and in return, Mark laid out his arm for Jack to rest his head on. While Jack snuggled back against him, Mark whispered over Jack's side. "I'll stay up." Jack nodded, but he was already drifting off. To Be Continued...