ʏᴇᴀʀ ᴏɴᴇ ⬫︎︎ Ghosts and Birthday Truths ⬫︎︎

Start from the beginning

"Few more minutes," she said, her breath visible in the air.

A soft wind pushed the falling snow around, and the night alighted with the white slivers. A few snowflakes landed in her eyelashes and she sighed, rubbing them away. She traced a cake into the snow, feeling the cold prick her finger.

"I talked to Dad about making red velvet, your favorite. You won't believe it, Mum, he actually said yes. Even seemed happy that I suggested it."

A humorous smile made its way to her face before falling slowly. She shivered slightly and gripped her jacket, pulling it around her.

Her family didn't eat sweets often, practically never. Her dad and stepmom prioritized health in all shapes and forms, and being dentists, they were particular with their dental care, so anything that could potentially rot their teeth was out of the picture.

But it was her eleventh birthday, the big one-one, the one that was going to change everything. It was the big day.

"Last birthday before Hogwarts, exciting isn't it?"

That's right. This year, by September 1st, she'd be attending the finest wizarding school in the world — Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a school full of magic and children just like her.

Well, maybe not just like her.

She was a witch, that's true, just like her mother and surprisingly her half-sister, but she was a little different- not to sound so cliche -maybe unusual is a better word.

She wasn't sure if the other students would be able to dream of the future or move things with her mind as she could.

Y/N eyed the messy picture she drew, rubbing the snow off her stinging finger. It barely looked like a cake, so she rolled her eyes and kicked snow on top, covering it with annoyance.

She shook her head and snuggled against her mother's monument, closing her eyes as she took a deep breath. The snow fell against her warm skin and she flinched when it made its way to her neck.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she cracked her eyes a sudden realization flooding through her. She lifted her head and looked at the destroyed building in the back.

"Yesterday, the heat was coming off and on in the office. Do you think someone cut off the heat?" she asked, tilting her head. "Ghost must be freezing."

In the distance, the clock tower struck midnight and she bit her cheek, the sound making her body tense. She eyed the headstone before grabbing her bag and bringing it to her lap. She quickly unzipped it and pulled out a sack of chopped turkey and blueberries.

She joggled it before getting on her knees and throwing her bag over her shoulder. She placed a hand on the stone and pressed her lips together.

"I should go, I'll try and see you tomorrow, okay? Love you."

Pressing two fingers to her lips, she placed them to her mother's name and stood, shaking the snow off her. She walked toward the abandoned building, nodding to each gravestone she passed.

Hitting her boots on the outside wall, she waited for the snow to fall off her feet before placing a hand through a broken window. She waved it around and frowned.

She made sure to walk in quietly, thanking the moonlight for lighting up the place. She felt no warmth and her nerves started to spread across her cold skin.

"Ghost?" she called, shaking the bag of turkey and blueberries. "You here?"

She took a few steps forward and winced as she heard the crunch of glass under her boot. She looked down, lifting her foot, and shook her head.