11. Return of the dead

In celebration of the Triwizard competition and the Christmas holiday there was a huge dance held at Hogwarts. All the contestants had to get a date and they were supposed to have a first dance before anyone else. Luckily for Drew the mentor wasn't in any way involved in the first dance. Cedric and Harry had to find their own dates.

But Drew was definitely invited to the dance! All students and teachers were allowed and even encouraged to come and celebrate.

The only thing for Drew was... she didn't have a date. Tina already had older Drew so that was out of the question. She briefly considered asking Percy but she felt like it was weird between them now Drew knew he was her son. She didn't know how she was supposed to act around him. Was she supposed to be an example? A teacher? A friend? She had no idea.

Which is how she found herself in front of the door of Newt Scamander. Drew raised her hand and knocked on the door. She didn't have to wait long before the door was pulled up and she was met with the surprised face of Newt.

"Hey! What are you doing here?"

Drew smiled, "what do you mean? Can't I just visit an old friend?"

Newt rolled his eyes and let Drew into his room, "I know I'm old but I'm not that old. Just you wait before you know it you're living this timeline for real"

Drew smiled sadly, "Yeah I know."

Newt looked at his friend concerned, "are you okay?"

Drew looked at him, there was another reason to ask him to the dance, not just because they were friends.

"Remember when we were teenagers and Leta would force us to the Christmas Balls?"

Newt smiled at that, remembering those memories. "Of course"

"Well, I remember you and I were supposed to go together once but I ended up not going. Figured it's about time to finally take you up on that prom date"

"You know what, I'd like that actually" Newt agreed, Drew smiled at that. He might be way older than her now but he still is her best friend.

"in my timeline, Leta died pretty recently. Though I haven't been close to her these last years. I want to honor her... with you. We both were her friends and I can't help but feel I neglected her when she didn't deserve it"

"That would be beautiful Drew. She'd like that" Newt told her. Drew nodded, she really hoped that wherever Leta was she could honor her memory. She did give her life for the cause after all.

-

Surrounded by many students and teachers, all dressed up for the occasion, Drew watched as the contestants had their first dance of the night. Both Cedric and Harry had managed to get a date. Cedric looked very elegant, clearly an experienced dancer yet Harry looked very clumsy. It made Drew smile, it reminded her of the Welcome ball she went to with Tina at Ilvermorny many years ago.

"Here I got you a drink" Newt came up to her and handed her a glass filled with a brewing liquid that Drew hadn't seen before. There was steam coming from it but she felt that the beverage was cold. Magic was wonderful sometimes.

"Thank you" Drew smiled before she looked back at the contestants. She started to sip her drink. After a while, more people joined the dance floor. The songs were all very calm and there was something romantic and magical about them.

Her eyes fell onto Tina who stood at the other side of the room. She was dressed in a very simple yet beautiful dress. Even at the age, she was now she was still the prettiest girl in the world to Drew.