Chapter 2 : College Days

I was doing my English major from London University. It took me a lot of hardwork to get into this university. But once I got into the university, I realised that it was no different from school. The bullies were constant. I was a loner forever in school. The quiet kid, sat in the very back and corner seat. Both in school and in university. Most of the time, I remained invisible to the human eye. And a human conversation left me exhausted. I can't deny that I had social anxiety. I still do. The bullies in my class loved to bully me. They were the popular kids, and made fun of the way I dressed, the food I brought, and everything else. Yes, I wasn't exactly the richest one, yes I wore the same clothes for weeks, yes I ate brown bag lunches in university, but that doesn't make me any less human, right? I guess the popular kids didn't make an effort to understand that.

I was sitting in my bench in the classroom that day. One of the popular girls, Helena, came up to me and said, "Eww, your bag is so boring. How much did it take you? Like, three pounds? Huh, God knows how you got into this university." This was nothing new. I ignored her as usual, and focused on revising the text. The first three lectures came and went. Then it was time for our lunch. Everyone went to the cafeteria, so did I. I bought the brown bag lunch as usual, and gulped down the stale piece of bread, a slice of cheese, and a green apple. It wasn't as bad as everyone thought. The green apple was delicious, I'm not even joking. I always loved fruits and veggies, I didn't know why people underrated them.

After lunch, we went back to our classroom, and it was time for the boring lecture. Mathematics, it was. And I hated it. I stared out of the window and started daydreaming. However, my daydream was interrupted with a sharp stroke of chalk that came and hit my face. I freaked out and I saw that our Maths teacher, Mr. Martin threw it at me. He was shouting, "Miss Higgins, why do you always have to be so unfocused during my lectures? If you do not like it, then you are most welcome to leave my classroom, but please don't sit idly, doing nothing in my class. Have you taken down the Geometry-." I did not hear what Mr. Martin was taking about, because my mind was somewhere else. I thought to myself that the daydream would be an excellent story plot. But I was cut short when I heard a rough scream which made the blood in my veins go cold. Mr. Martin was shouting at the top of his lungs, "Miss Ava Higgins, did you copy what I said? Did you complete your Geometry homework?"
"I, uh, actually... Um, no sir."
"Good then, you are out of my class. Suspended for fifteen days. Bring me your notebook, I'll write a note. Show it to the university office, and get off my classroom. Dare you disturb the class once again."

And that was the end of Maths class for two weeks. While the whole class was attending Mr. Martin's Maths lectures for fifteen days, I sat quietly in the cafeteria and filled up my diary with the novel I extracted from my daydream. No one had any idea about it. That is how my days in University were. A first year English major, daydreaming and filling her diary up with what others called "nonsense."