𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

Thankfully, the call stopped ringing. It was early in the morning and they wouldn't have been due at the office for over an hour anyway, so he still had a tiny bit of time left.

"What time is it?" Cassie mumbled, slowly opening her eyes.

"It's not even seven yet, go back to sleep," he placed a soft kiss on her head, running a hand through her hair.

Cassie smiled when she felt his touch, happy and content in that moment. "Why are you awake, everything okay?"

"Just thinking, everything's fine."

"I don't know if it was real or in my dream, did Karen just call you?"

Matt sighed, nodding because he knew she was looking at him. "I didn't answer though."

Cassie rolled over, shifting so that she was on her side next to Matt. Her entire body still hurt a lot, but she was still happier than she'd been in a long time.

She knew eventually they'd have to have a conversation about Matt being The Devil, they both knew that. But for now, they just wanted to enjoy each other's company.

"As much as I'd like to lay here forever, and I think your body needs the rest, what did you tell Foggy and Karen about you going in to work today?"

"I haven't said anything, yet. They're gonna have to know at least a little bit though. The guys that broke into your place haven't been identified so it'll probably be treated as a random attempted robbery."

"But what about the fact that as bad as my injuries are, I didn't go to a hospital? Can I say that I still got the injuries from them, but that it was at my apartment and I was defending myself?"

Matt hated that she was already having to lie because of him. "I'm sorry," he whispered.

"Don't be." Cassie moved closer to Matt again and began playing with his hair. "I'm here with you now. Maybe in a little pain, but I'm okay."

After a moment of silence, Matt finally spoke up again. "We should call Foggy and tell him about the break-in just so he doesn't hear about it from Brett or anyone else."

"I'll say you were already on your way over, it'll explain your injuries too, you really did fight them," Cassie shrugged. She knew that eventually, she'd tell her brother the truth. But for now, she didn't want to raise any more questions.

After a lengthy phone call with him, where he asked about a million questions, Cassie and Matt hoped he was put at ease, at least for now.

He immediately offered to let Cassie stay in his apartment until they caught the guys who hurt them. While she appreciated that, his apartment was much smaller, and she joked that she'd probably end up sleeping outside on the balcony.

"She can stay with me Foggy, it's fine. I can handle working from home to make sure she's safe, and we'll go back by her apartment later so she can grab a few things."

"I'll ask Brett if he can be there with you guys," Foggy mentioned just before they ended the call.

Once they hung up, Cassie groaned. "Shit. The showcase at the gallery is soon. I can't take too much time off."