Agent Nick Fowler

Two months later

It has been two months since Nick Fowler heard anything from Mace or her little friends. It had been two months of looking over his shoulder, knowing that it was just a matter of time before she would catch up to him. There was so much Nick and Mace had to talk about, but he didn't know how things were going to pan out when the dust settled between the pair. Mace was his best friend, yet, there was so much she didn't know about him.

Before dealing with Mace, he needed to tie up some loose ends. Elijah Clarke needed to be taken care of if Nick wanted to move on with his life. The shit he got himself into working for Clarke caused him to realize losing everything wasn't worth it. The work that had cost him so much, and the man was fighting so hard to get it back. He was going to work his ass off to get the life had dreamed of for so long.

"You put a hit out on me," Nick expressed to Clarke, strutting up the stairs into the living quarters of Clarke's elegant house, eye locked on the man.

"A man must cover his tracks," Elijah expressed, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, he does," Nick agreed, smirking slightly at the man in front of him.

Elijah walked towards Nick, confidence erupting through his body. "I have ten men outside."

Nick chuckled, "You had ten men." Licking his lips, the man plopped down in the nearest chair. "It's just you and me now."

The confidence Elijah held left his body, sitting in the chair opposite of Nick, unsure of what the agent could possibly do.

"You were beaten by a bunch of girls," Clarke pointed out, hands resting on his lap. "Should have killed them when you had the chance."

Nick shrugged, "They're next. You're now."

Clarke cocked his head, trying to read Nick's face, wondering what was going on in the head of this agent. The whole time Nick worked for him, he never knew what side the agent really stood for. Was Nick loyal to Clarke, or was he loyal to himself?

"One reason," Nick demanded, eyes locked on Clarke. "Give me one reason you keep breathing."

"I'll give you a hundred million reasons if you carry on working for me," Clarke responded, raising an eyebrow.

Nick was an amazing asset, even if he didn't trust him half the time. Clarke needed this man on his side, especially if those women showed up again. Nick knew this was going to be Elijah's play. Everyone's play was offering a large amount of money. He wasn't going to allow himself to be played, not when he had so much to protect in his life.

"I'm good," Nick stated, rising to his feet, pulling his gun from the waistband of his pants, unloading the clip into Clarke's body.

Clarke had controlled him enough, forcing him into this life. Ending Clarke wasn't the best way to move on, but it was the only way to keep the ones he loved safe. The man who threatened him the most was gone, now he just had to wait for Mace and her friends to show up. That was the last obstacle to his happy ending.

*****

Returning to Washington DC meant that Nick could work on earning back what he lost so many months ago. He found himself in Marks' position, people answering to him instead of the other way around. This wasn't exactly the place he thought he would be, but then again, he hoped Mace would have shown her face by now, taking his position.

A knock on his office door brought Nick from his thoughts. He gazed up, finding Grady entering with a file in hand.

"Boss, new mission brief," Grady said, handing over the folder. "It's wheels up in three hours.