━ 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 ━

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

𝐎𝐒 𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐀, 𝐒𝐈𝐗 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐒 𝐀𝐆𝐎

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

━━━━━𝐀 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑 𝐀𝐒 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐒𝐊𝐘 sat on a ledge, overlooking the training grounds where the Grisha sparred. She watched intently, her dark-brown irises darting, studying their techniques, their styles. Then she allowed her gaze to wander to the glittering lake beyond. She didn't flinch or make any indication of acknowledgement when the golden-haired boy sat down beside her.

She inclined her head at the horizon. "I'd like to see the True Sea one day."

He laughed and said, "You'll see it soon."

Her eyes still remained trained on the azure lake. "I'd like to see it with you."

At that he was quiet.

She paused and glanced over. The warm rays of sunlight outlined his face and framed his hair. He was a sight to behold, the very epitome of a golden prince.

Then the boy met her gaze. "I'd like to see it with you too," he said quietly.

She gave him the most dazzling smile that almost made him fall of the ledge with surprise. He tried to picture that. To keep it in his memory forever.

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐁𝐄𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐄𝐅𝐓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

━━━━━𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐒𝐓𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐆𝐎𝐋𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐖𝐈𝐑𝐄 that now entwined around her right hand's middle finger in the sunlight. It was in the shape of a single wave. An identical ring was on the young prince's left middle finger. She suspected he made these rings himself, but it wasn't bent weirdly or sloppy. It looked perfect. Maybe a Fabrikator helped him.

She grinned, the left corner of her lips pulling up. "Any reason why you're being particularly sappy today?"

She expected him to make a witty retort but he didn't look at her. He seemed more interested in his boots.

"Something wrong, my Clever Fox?"

He ignored her question. "It's a promise," he said. "That we will always find each other no matter what. Wether intentionally or unintentionally. Our fates are intertwined."

She let out a small breath of amusement when she realized he was talking about the rings. "We're fourteen for Saint's sake, Nikolai. We're not doing friendship bracelets anymore."

Suddenly he grabbed her hand, startling her. His clever hazel eyes bore into her stormy dark ones. This Nikolai was not cheery or charismatic. He was being as serious as he could ever be. When was the last time she saw him this serious? Perhaps never at all.

"Angelique," he said. "Keep it for me."

She blinked, in a rare moment of open surprise. "I... alright."

When he let her hand go, his eyes were suddenly alight with challenge. "Would you like to spar?"

"Do you mean to say, 'Would you like to beat my princely ass?'" She grinned again, broader this time. "Then allow me the courtesy of doing so."

It was as if the moment before hadn't existed at all.

The day thereafter, only then did she know why he gave her the ring.

Because it was his way of saying goodbye.