A Surprise in Store

The Gumneck General Store looked exactly like the stereotypical ones shown in old-timey movies. It was built from a lighter wood that had weathered over the years, and a covered porch wrapped around the entirety of the building. Some local sellers- fishermen, artisans, etc- had set up shop on the porch and politely greeted Tony, Layla and Echo as they walked through the open doorway into the store.

Inside, every wall was lined with shelves of food, tools, household items, and other general goods. There were also other shelves and tables scattered throughout that held more items, and at the very back there was a wooden counter where the register stood. A tall man stood behind it, facing away from them and busying himself with a cabinet door that appeared to be broken.

"Um, excuse me?" Echo asked, clearing her throat. The man whipped around in surprise. He was probably in his 40s, with sandy-blonde hair stuffed under a well-worn trucker hat and piercing blue eyes that looked tired but friendly.

"Hiya," the man said, brushing his hands off and leaning on the counter. "What can I do for y'all?"

"We had to make an unexpected stop in town, so we're just here for some basic supplies," Tony replied. "Water, canned food...uh, maybe some blankets? What else did Miss Nowhere say to get?"

He'd addressed the question to Layla, but when Tony turned to look at her, she was frozen in place and looked slightly pale.

"You good?" Tony asked, nudging her arm.
Layla blinked.

"I have to go," she muttered. "I...I think I lost my earring."

And without another word, she walked quickly out of the store, leaving Tony and Echo utterly confused and more than a little concerned.

"Your friend alright?" The clerk asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh...yeah. She'll be fine," Tony replied, trying to play it cool. He didn't know what was up with Layla (yet again), but she'd obviously wanted to keep it on the downlow. "Just, uh, really attached to those earrings."

"You go find Layla," Echo said, pushing Tony towards the door. "I'll get the supplies."

"But-"

"Just go!"

Tony did as he was told, and when he was gone Echo turned back to the clerk. She was surprised to see him gazing out the door with a thoughtful expression as he watched Tony head down the street.

"Sorry, what did you say that girl's name was?" He asked, still not looking at Echo.

"Oh, um," Echo hesitated at the strange question. "...Layla. Why?"

Something flickered across the man's face, but Echo couldn't quite read the emotion.

"I...used to know someone with that name," he replied slowly. Then, he finally met Echo's eyes again and regained his composure, putting on a friendly, salesman smile. "Now, could ya tell me again what supplies ya need?"