A Quick Journey Through the Universe

In the late December, 2018. My family went to Jakarta to attend one of my cousin's wedding. After that, we had two days off before we came back. My sister and I therefore decided to go to the Jakarta Planetarium on the first day. We went there by car at 8am. The planetarium was located inside the Ismail Marzuki Park at St. Cikini Raya No.73, RT.8/RW.2, Cikini, Menteng, Central Jakarta City.

We arrived after 15 minutes of driving. My sister parked the car and we went into the main building after buying the tickets. Right afterwards, we are welcomed by a giant globe with a human size. After that, we went to the exhibition Hall, which contains many of space-related things. Such as pictures of celestial bodies with complete information, an astronaut suit, to a collection of meteor rock fragments. The famous one, was Pasuruan Meteorite. A meteorite that has the size of a bull's head, it is named that way because it was landed on Tambakwatu, Pasuruan Regency at February 14, 1975.

After 40 minutes of educational yet amusing experience. We moved to the next building, the Star Theater. The waiting room was pretty crowded. The theater will get started at 9am but it was still 8:55 am. And finally after waiting for 5 minutes, the staff told us to queue up to go to the theater room. The room was large and fulled with seats like what cinema theater has. The ceiling is the inside of the large dome which used as a screen so that it really looks like a sky view.

After 40 minutes of educational yet amusing experience. We moved to the next building, the Star Theater. The waiting room was pretty crowded. The theater will get started at 9am but it was still 8:55 am. And finally, after waiting for 5 minutes, the staff told us to queue up to go to the theater room. The room was large and filled with seats like the cinema theater. The ceiling is the inside of the large dome, which used as a screen so that it really looks like a sky view.

The screen displayed a view of the night sky with all conditions and situations.  Formation of the Solar System, Eclipses of the Sun and Moon, Life History of Stars, as well as Situation of the Universe and all its contents, such as Galaxies, Stars, Planets, and Moons are presented very nicely for about 50-60 minutes of the show. The calming narration and the realistic view of each film makes me feel like I was wandering around the universe.

After the theater ended, I was filled with the joy of knowledge satisfication. And became more and more curious about the universe. Three years have passed, but I still remember how great it was. I really feel like an astronaut that was floating in the universe.