"I'm so confused." I muttered as we made it into the Great Hall. As soon as we made it to the table Nadia, Tanner, Cassie and Fred all rushed round to the other side of the table so that I was left to sit between Kieran and James. They were up to something and I didn't know what.

A few minutes later, Professor McGonagall our Headmistress, stood up at the front of the hall and tapped her glass to ask for silence. McGonagall usually made a speech at the feast that happened on the night that you arrived at Hogwarts for the start of a new year, but she didn't yesterday and that was a little strange.

"Good morning students. As I didn't make a small speech last night, I shall be reminding you of the school rules and a few updates in our teaching system. Firstly, I would like to remind you all that the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds to all students including students named Tanner Jordan, Fred Weasley and James Potter as they always seem to think that it excludes them when I say all students." Professor McGonagall looked pointedly at the three boys as the sat laughing quietly to themselves. The three of them were obsessed with the Forbidden Forest.
"Also, I would like to remind you that spells are forbidden in the hallways of the school and no running please, it just causes disaster. Quidditch tryouts will be held next Saturday, if you would like to attend please speak to the captains for each house who are Jeremy Hale for Slytherin, Michelle Tate for Ravenclaw, Isla Dawson for Hufflepuff and Logan Summerhill for Gryffindor. Also, we have a change in the teachers here at Hogwarts this year. I would like you all firstly to welcome Professor Olivia Marlow who will be teaching you all Defence Against the Dark Arts this year." As McGonagall said this, a tall blonde witch stood up and smiled at the students. She looked far to young to be a teacher to me and she was also very pretty. No doubt Tanner would try to flirt with her.

"She can teach me anything she likes." Tanner turned to us all and gave us a wink making myself, Nadia, Cassie and James roll our eye's whilst Kieran and Fred snickered at what he had said.

"I would also like to welcome Professor Janie Hummer who will be taking over Divination classes as Professor Trelawney resigned last year. Good luck Professors." Professor McGonagall introduced a small, but stern looking woman who looked fairly old and strict. How could she be a divination teacher? She didn't look quirky enough. As both Professors sat down, McGonagall carried on with her speech.

"Your Head of Houses will now be walking round with your timetables for this year and I wish you all the best of luck with your studies." Professor McGonagall nodded once and sat down as the students clapped respectfully. Suddenly, the food appeared on the table and the boy's were straight into the food, grabbing anything the could to eat.

"It's like feeding time at the Zoo!" Nadia rolled her eye's as Fred tried to stuff a whole slice of toast in his mouth.

"Are you trying out for the Quidditch Team this year Nads, Amber?" Tanner looked at the two of us.

"Of course, i'd never miss out on playing Quidditch." Nadia told him.

"I will if Summerhill lets me." I shrugged.

"Amber are you stupid, that boy is like in love with you. He'll probably let you on the team without even having to tryout!" Tanner rolled his eyes. The fact that Logan Summerhill had a crush on me was something that nearly everyone in Gryffindor knew. Although Logan was in Greg's year, he was still obsessed with me and it was quite strange. Last year, he had asked me out twice very loudly in the Gryffindor Common Room after Quidditch Matches and both times I had said no. This humiliated him, but he never gave up.

"I don't like him like that, he's weird." I shuddered.

"You're strange Amber Chamberlin. You have so many boys at your feet yet you decline every single one of them." Nadia shook her head at me.

"I suppose i'm just waiting for the right person. I'm not making the same mistake that I did with Oliver." I sighed, remembering how heart broken I was when I caught him cheating.

"Yeah well he was an idiot, we all know that." Fred shrugged.

"Greg took care of him anyway, he'll never bother you again." Cassie smiled sympathetically.

"Maybe the right person is closer than you think Amber, you never know." Tanner wiggled his eyebrows at me.

"What are you trying to get at Tanner?" I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Oh nothing to worry your pretty little head my dear Amber." He grinned, ruffling my hair.

"Oh Tanner! You've ruined my hair!" I cried, trying desperately to flatten it down.

"It looks fine." James told me without even looking up from his breakfast.

"Er...thanks." I replied. James Potter had never complimented me before, why was he being so nice to me? He was also very quiet this morning which was very unlike him. Maybe i'd ask Albus or Lily what was wrong with him. They'd probably know because the were quite a close family. Wait a minute, why did I care so much?! It was only Potter!

"Right! We have charms, are you all coming?" Kieran broke the awkward silence and stood up out of his seat. I hadn't even realised that our timetables for the year had been handed out to us.

"I haven't got Charms first." I told him, looking down at my timetable.

"Neither have I." Nadia agreed.

"Me either." Tanner replied.

"I have Potions." James held up his timetable.

"So do I." I nodded.

"Oh I have Charms Kieran!" Cassie smiled.

"Yeah I do too." Fred nodded and they both stood up to join him.

"See you later then?" Kieran asked, pointedly looking at me.

"See you at lunch." I gave him a small smile.

With that Kieran, Fred and Cassie all made their way out of the Great Hall to go to Charm's class. We all usually had the same classes, but this year was obviously different.

"I think we should go if we've got to get to Potions." Nadia told us, grabbing her bag.

"Yeah, she's right." Tanner agreed standing up. I stood up and James followed, we then followed Nadia and Tanner out of the Great Hall and made our way to Potions ready to begin another full year of lessons.

"Nads, what's going on?" I asked her as we walked behind Tanner and James.

"What do you mean?" She asked me. Of course she knew what I meant, she wasn't stupid.

"Don't play dumb Nadia, you know what I'm talking about." I sighed.

"I'd tell you Amber but I can't, besides you wouldn't me even if I told you." Nadia replied, giving me a sympathetic look.

"Of course I'd believe you!" I told her, shocked she'd even think that.

"Not for this." She told me. I sighed but nodded. Nadia was my best friend and I knew that she'd tell me anything if she had reason too. She wasn't one for telling people's secrets.

I was going to get to the bottom of what they all knew and I didn't even if it killed me.

************************************************************************************