Chapter 15

Hey guys!

Thanks for all your feedback; please keep commenting and voting, it means a lot <3 There's a bit of 'science' stuff in this chapter. I know absolutely nothing about chemistry/science so I apologise if it makes no sense! Try to just go with it ;)

Love LyricHeart xxx

Sofia stared at the detective’s body in horror, frozen as she prayed for any sign of life. Agonising seconds ticked by as she watched, Sherlock lying so still it looked as though he was carved out of marble. Then, almost imperceptibly, his chest rose and fell.

"Oh thank god," Sofia sobbed, laying her ear against his chest to hear his heart beat. "Thank god."

The door to the lab banged open and John stormed in, followed by a woman Sofia didn't recognise but assumed was Molly.

"Sofia?" John asked, running over as he saw her tear stained face. Then he caught sight of Sherlock's head in her lap.

"Oh my god," he said in a low voice, falling to his knees beside his best friend and pressing two fingers to his neck to find a pulse.

"He's alive," Sofia said, her voice shaking. "He lost consciousness about two minutes ago...he was in so much pain, John."

"Does he know what it was?" John asked, opening Sherlock's mouth and looking inside.

"No, he didn't know, that's why he injected himself with it."

"For gods sake," John hissed, "if he wasn't unconscious I would knock him out. Call an ambulance."

Sofia did as she was told. Looking around, John spotted the syringe lying discarded on the floor a few metres away. He crawled over and picked it up, holding it to the light so he could see its contents. A tiny volume of the colourless serum was still left in the syringe.

"Molly, can you get that analysed please?" He said, holding it out to the woman who was staring at Sherlock in horror. Hearing John, she snapped to attention, grabbing the syringe from his hand.

“I’ll be right back,” she said, running out the lab.

Sofia watched her go, ending the call, then turned back to John.

“Who is she?” she asked.

“A chemist, lab technician, scientist, doctor, pretty much anything you need her to be,” John replied, listening to Sherlock’s breathing, “plus she’s our friend.”

“If Sherlock couldn’t find anything in the serum is there any chance Molly will?” John shrugged and looked up at her with determined eyes.

“Sherlock wouldn’t have asked her here if he didn’t think she could do anything.”

Sofia sat back on her heels and looked at the detective.

“He completely baffles me,” she admitted, not looking at John. There was a pause, then John sighed.

“He baffles me too,” he answered. “He baffles everyone, even himself.”

“Why would he do it though?” Sofia asked. “He’s a genius, everyone knows it – he never lets anyone forget it – so why would he do something so stupid?”

“To be fair he didn’t know that the earth goes round the sun,” John pointed out. Sofia managed a chuckle.

“Fair point,” she shrugged. “But something doesn’t feel quite right.”