Those who are not willing to take a risk don't get anything (or... anyone)

The sun was setting in LA, soon that gigantic ball of fire would eclipse behind the landscape made up of a broad expanse of houses.

Chris was still on leave due to the injury she sustained during a Private Security gig she had had with Deacon. This off-duty job was supposed to be easy money and undemanding work... It involved driving a client to Vegas. But then they had found themselves in a ghost town, attacked by members of a Mexican cartel... turned out their client was their former accountant and was running away to reach his family and start over with them. Luckily the team members were able to find them in time, but she had come out with a minor concussion and a leg injury, which forced her to stay at home for two weeks.

Thankfully, Street had been very close to her throughout the 14 days, even offering to pick her up and bring her back from Mama Pina's house, where Chris had decided to spend her time, to help as much as she could with the girls sheltered there. She was mainly dealing with paperwork now, but once she recovered, she was going to teach the girls some self-defense moves. She had promised herself to do what she could to help Mama Pina at the safe house.

Her aunt Helena had arrived in California from Colombia to be with her uncle Sarzo back in the 80s, but she had to go through what those women and girls were experiencing, running away from an abusive father who didn't want her to marry. It was thanks to women like Mama Pina that Chris was now the woman she was. Mama Pina was an immigrant who opened her home and provided refuge to women abused by their husbands or boyfriends. The women who came there were waitresses, saleswomen, fruit and vegetable pickers, cleaners. Many of them were ashamed, reluctant to point the finger or to file for divorce. Most were undocumented and they went to Mama Pina's when they didn't know their rights or when shelters didn't have space. Mama Pina knew how to listen, to give guidance but not judgment if the women didn't want to leave their relationships.

Chris was immersed in translating some documents from Spanish to English with Mama Pina when she received a message from Street. He was... her partner, her best friend ... the one she loved and couldn't love. Not out in the open, at least.

Without even realizing it, a smile spread across her lips.

Street: Hey Chris, do you wanna grab a beer tonight?

Since I have to pick you up shortly anyway,

we can stay at my place, Luca's out with Kelly's mum.

"It's your novio, isn't it? What's his name again? James?" said mama Pina, smiling.

"Oh, no, no, no tengo novio, it's just my best friend, Jim Street, you know, the one who drove me by to bring Jenni back..."

"... and the one who has been bringing you and picking you up here every day?"

"That's him."

"Best friend, huh?"

"Yes, he's a teammate."

"Your mouth says those words, but your eyes are telling me something else, mi niña ."

Chris smiled spontaneously, "Is it that obvious?"

"Que sí! I can see it from your face ... and actually also from his, as far as I could see ."

"Oh god, no, please, no one in the team has mentioned anything, it can't be THAT obvious."

"How do you know they didn't notice? The eyes, chica, they never lie. Maybe they haven't told you. When and how did you two lovebirds meet? "

"We're not...lovebirds... however...well ... he joined my team 5 years ago now. Our old team leader .. Buck, he... shot a black teenager by mistake during a dangerous mission. He was fired , and Hondo was assigned as boss in his place.... and to fill the hole in the team, Buck recommended Street. He was a hothead, at first ... I got him out of trouble God knows how many times, but... he has his head screwed on right now, and in fact, he got me out of a mess last year when I was in a bad place. He is always there for me; he constantly has my six and I wouldn't do without him."