Without missing a beat, he pulls out his cheap sidearm and begins to aim the barrel at me.

Why can they never pick the first or second solutions?

I roll my eyes, and unclench my jaw that had clenched in the middle of his screaming. Taking a deep breath while he aims, I pull just enough oxygen from his body to cause him to stumble backwards, trying to gain his breath, and then sucker-punch him directly in the jaw. As his body falls to the floor without an ounce of grace, I shake my hand, trying to ignore the pain that's pulsing through.

"You should have just listened," I say while shaking my head. "Now you get to not only pay me, but have someone else pay to bail your ass out of jail. Enjoy the bruise, asshole."

I dial NYPD and wait for them to come pick up the prick who decided it would be a fun time to argue with the person he hired. It's not good for business when you get NYPD involved, but lucky for me, I have enough pull from my corrupt police officer neighbor, Tyrese, to knock some of the damage to my rep off.

Sure, I get plenty of room for comfort because of it, but I've been put under a microscope as well. It's not a fun time when everyone is watching and waiting for you to fuck up in such a way that not even Tyrese can save my ass.

As I wait for the cops to get here, I rub my temple. Headaches are becoming more common as a side effect when I use my powers, especially when my emotions are heightened. As far as I know, I am one of the super-people you see on the news, like the Avengers, but I'm definitely not a member. My powers manifested when I was fifteen after a car accident. As far as I know, I was in a coma for a few weeks and when I woke up, they had acted like it was some kind of miracle. But since then, I've been able to a lot of things that I'm still figuring out.

I don't really understand how I got them, or what all of them are. All I know is that the basics of them is that I can control the elements, to some degree. In this case, I used my powers with air and snapped the oxygen from him. I have a theory that I can fly or something, but I'm still working out the kinks on that. 

What I do know is that when I woke up from my coma, the doctor who was reading my vitals and asking me how I felt wanted to get me in touch with SHIELD, but he never elaborated on why he did. Then after a few days in the hospital recovering, nobody came to see me from the government, so I figured I was safe. Was sent to live with a friend of mine, and lost my family, sure. But I got to move to New York City without a lot of flak, so I guess there's a morbid bright side.

New York City is a cultural marvel. The cultures are so intertwined like the stereotypical melting pot that you'd hear about in your average American history book. The people aren't all so bad as long as you keep to yourself. Nothing a New Yorker hates more than when people interject with their unwanted opinions. So naturally, they hate the US government with their Sokovia Accords "agenda." Don't shoot the messenger, it's what they actually call it.

I will say that the people in the city really aren't as bad as their reputation makes them out to be. They're alright, granted, I don't deal with a large portion of the city. I live in Queens, so we're not like your uptight, rich, and entitled Upper-East/West siders.

After twenty minutes of waiting, NYPD finally arrives. Two female officers show up, clearly annoyed by the man who is unconscious in the middle of my apartment – which just so happens to also be my office.

"And you're Crystal Allen?" One of the officers asks. She has blue eyes so I'll call her Blue.

"Yes." I respond.

"Anyone else work with you here?"

"No."

"You know, you can't just knock someone out for no reason," Blue says, sighing.