CHAPTER 5: Nepenthe

Nepenthe - something that makes you forget fear and suffering

It had been a few weeks of school and I got along with Elijah very well. I didn't think we were acquaintances anymore. Maybe friends?

So after another exhausting day, when I arrived home, I was greeted by a very depressing atmosphere. Dad wasn't home yet so it felt empty without Mom already cooking in the kitchen or moving around the house.

So naturally, as my stomach growled, I went to the fridge to get myself some food. But just my luck, there was a sticky note on the fridge.

"Hi, Elora. I'll come back late today. By 10, I expect. So you'll have to look after yourself for a bit. Do your homework and make sure to eat and drink something. Love, Dad," I read, my brows furrowing. I mean, Dad has stayed away for way longer than that before but now we lived only 10 minutes (if you drove a car) from his usual workplace. Besides, he was supposed to have a day off today and there were plenty of other surgeons in the hospital. Sure, Dad was one of the very best but still, he also needed rest to be his very best. What could be so urgent?

As the evening passed, I found myself glancing at the clock more than usual. So, as it ticked 10, I started to get slightly worried. All kinds of thoughts started to cloud my mind. It's usual though, I tend to think that when someone's late. What is 'that', you ask? Well... What if he was in a car crash? Am I all alone? Nah, I have Mom. But does she want me? I mean, she went away without saying goodbye... Well, you get the point. But still, I was responsible enough to lock the door and go to bed. After all, there wasn't a need for me to be late on the third day of school.

--- Mom stood in front of me but I could only see her back.

"Mom!" I called out, trying to reach out for her.

She turned around, no emotion in her eyes. "Rule Number 1, Elora. No one will ever love you if you keep acting like a brat."---

I gasped for air as I awoke to my alarm. Just a dream, I assured myself. It was just a dream... I tried to convince myself but something diverted my attention from the topic of the nightmare. Dad wasn't home and neither had he replaced the note on the fridge. That made me worry even more. It's gonna be fine, Elora, I tried to assure myself. Dad's alright. Probably had a more complex surgery than he thought. And it was just a nightmare...

But throughout the morning I couldn't make myself believe that. The other part of the lie, that is. Dad honestly didn't concern me as much. But I did feel like the dream was trying to tell me something. After all, there had to be a reason that I couldn't convince myself to believe that. And I didn't know what it was! Mom had never said anything like that. Although, yes, she did make it obvious with her actions but I still didn't know w- Oh... I realized, stopping my walk towards the cafeteria.

"Come on, Elora!" Elijah called from ahead. "They could run out of the good stuff!"

"Coming!" I answered, speed walking after my... friend, you could say.

"Hey, are you alright?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "I just... just have a lot on my mind right now."

Elijah hummed in thought. "You want me to cheer you up?"

I grinned slightly. "You can try."

He fell silent before snapping his fingers. "I got it! Why do we tell actors to 'break a leg'?"

"I don't know, why?" I asked with a shrug, taking my food portion.

"Because every play has a cast!"

I laughed slightly. "That was so bad."

"I know," he grinned. "But I heard from somewhere that bad jokes can be funny if they're told hilariously badly."

I sat down at a table before answering with a smile. "You could say that. You got any more?"

"Let me think... No, I don't. But, I have something better!" he cheered after swallowing a bite of his food.

"And what is that?" I asked, a bit intrigued.

"A brain!" he smiled, tapping his head.

I huffed a laugh. After that, silence ensued for a bit and I zoned out, not really thinking about anything in particular.

"When you use the remote controller, you become the remote controller."

I choked on my food, a laugh escaping my throat. "Where'd that come from?!"

"I don't know," Elijah shrugged, "my mind's an interesting place sometimes."