Prologue

Prologue

Napatitig si Vera sa labas ng malaking bintana ng kaniyang chamber. Everything in her household is burning. The cries for help of the servants and her people in the Third Household resonated the whole area. The skies of the dawn are already red because of the smokes and tall fires that surrounded the entire Third Household.

Vera touched the glass panel of her windows.

After taking the throne he immediately wiped out the entire five households. And mine... Is the last household he's going to destroy.

Tumalikod siya mula sa pagkakaharap sa bintana. Naglakad siya palapit sa kaniyang desk at nagsalin ng rum sa baso na naroon. After filling glass with rum, she held the glass and played with the liquid inside.

It's a good thing that I already asked my husbands to evacuate the children.

If... I were-

Natigil si Vera sa pag-iisip nang makarinig ng malakas na pagsabog galing sa labas ng mansyon. She chuckled sarcastically before drinking the rum.

Napasulyap siya sa sword na nakasabit sa dingding na nasa likuran ng kaniyang desk chair. Ibinaba niya ang baso ng rum na wala nang laman.

If I am going to die tonight... I won't die without fighting back.

Vera went to the wall. Kinuha niya ang sword habang pasuray-suray pa ang lakad. She unsheathed it before walking outside of her room.

She's barefoot and are only wearing a maroon night gown with silk robe. The ribbon of the robe was untied, making the robe flatter in the air as Vera walks in the silent and cold floor of the mansion's hallway.

Nakasadsad sa marmol na sahig ng mansyon ang dulo ng kaniyang hawak na sword. Kaya gumagawa ito ng nakabibinging ingay. Vera didn't mind it and just continue walking.

The sword is a bit heavy. I should've improved my swordmanship. No wonder I was known as the useless child of the former Lord.

Nang makalabas ng mansyon si Vera ay agad na bumungad sa kaniya ang mga bangkay ng mga servants at guards sa paanan ng pinto. The heavy smell of blood is mixing with the intoxicating smoke from the ashes in the air.

Vera walked out of the house. Hindi niya alintana ang pag-apak sa bumabahang dugo ng mga namatay sa paanan ng pinto. The hem of her night gown has traces of the blood already. One of her feet even accidentally kicked the head of one of the dead servants. Rumolyo ito papunta sa unahan.

Nang i-angat ni Vera ang kaniyang tingin ay natigil siya sa paglalakad. A humid gush of wind blew her long and black hair. The side of her lips rose up upon seeing hundreds of soldiers in front of her.