Forty-Six - Session One

Start from the beginning

"If we're trying to be healthy, we have to attempt something multiple times consistently before we can judge whether or not it works."

Bakugo grumbled.

"You can choose to believe this doesn't work and you can refuse to try." Kazuko continued casually. "You could show up to my office once a week just to sit on my couch and stare at me angrily. You wouldn't be wasting my time, I'd still be getting paid. I could in turn sit here and doodle for $200 an hour." She held up her notepad to show a scribble of a caricature with enraged eyes and sharp teeth.

Bakugo narrowed his eyes at the doodle. "I-Is that me?"

"But I want to help you, Katsuki." Kazuko flipped her note back back onto her lap. "You're stubborn but you're here for a reason. And something tells me it wasn't your parents that made the final call."

Bakugo gnawed at his bottom lip.

"There's- This girl." He muttered through gritted teeth. "Her name's Ren. I knew her as Ren Chinami but it's Chinami-Ren Arakawa. Beautiful mouthful, right? She waltzed late into my class on the first day of second year and- Her uniform was all messy... She had her top button undone, her tie loose around her neck like she couldn't care and these... These thigh high socks that drove me crazy every time I saw them."

Bakugo clenched his teeth tightly and leant back into the leather couch again. "S-Sorry. That's probably weird." He rubbed the back of his neck uncomfortably as he avoided any eye contact with the shrink.

"This is a safe space. I'm not here to judge." She said calmly, again.

"I- I hated Ren from day one. At least that's what I told myself 'cause she was- Is- Beautiful and smart and funny, talented and just a whole lot fucking better at making friends than I ever was. And she's sexy and mysterious and like, everything I could ever want in a person. I could never get her off my mind and so I told myself it's because I hated her.

"She pissed me off all the time, I mean- She'd tease me and be better than me and then be flirty and like- She was just in my head. I don't get scared or nervous, I don't fumble over my words but when she was around my heart wouldn't stop racing and my hands would sweat like crazy."

Bakugo ran his hands through his messy hair and clenched into a clump at the back of his head.

"Which is... Not great considering my hands are literally weapons."

Kazuko gave him a half chuckle.

"But I guess the feeling was mutual. When I confronted her about it we-" Bakugo paused again. "I mean, I struggled trying to explain this to a classmate I don't particularly like explaining myself to, I don't know how to put this to a grown up."

"I'll remind you this is a safe space. If you're concerned about saying things to me you wouldn't want repeated to your parents, you needn't worry. I don't divulge anything unless I have reason to believe you're in danger of hurting yourself or others."

"We begun a," Bakugo cleared his throat. "Physical... Relationship."

He raised his eyebrows at Kazuko, expecting some kind of reaction until he realised she'd probably heard a lot worse than two willing parties engaging in consensual sex. Bakugo cleared his throat again.

"Anyway, after that I thought, I thought that maybe it's all I needed. You know, to "get her out of my system". But from night one I was- I was too far gone. I mean, I fucking cared enough to remember that on the first day of school she told our class that she liked sharks. So my dumb infatuated ass went and bought her tickets to a shark diving experience.