Chapter Four

Adrien

He glared ahead at the desk, shifting the ice pack on his chin. Like an idiot, he had tried to separate the two of them on his own. And like an idiot, he had gotten punched for it. He wasn't even sure who exactly hit him, everything happened so fast.

"I am incredibly disappointed in you three."

Instead of principal Damocles, it was an older woman, who was continuously tapping her long, glaringly red fingernails on the desk. It was beginning to grate on his nerves. He glanced at Lila, who was to his left. Her bottom lip was busted, a bruise was forming on her cheekbone, and her hair was an absolute mess. At his right was Marinette, whose only injury was an L shaped cut on her forehead, from where Lila had hit her with the edge of a tube of lipstick.

"Marinette just attacked me. I was minding my own business and she tackled me. I'm the victim. I shouldn't be punished. And Marinette should be in handcuffs!"

The principal sighed, turning to Marinette.

"Did you attack her?"

Marinette stared straight ahead, not muttering a single word.

"If you continue to be uncooperative, I'll be calling the police to come handle this. If you cooperate, it will just be your parents."

Oh great. He barely had a mom for a whole day, and she was already getting a call that he got into a fight. Fantastic.

"I bumped into Lila on accident. She was standing directly outside of the library doors. I apologized, and she grabbed me. I tried to leave, but she grabbed my hair. I retaliated."

Her voice was monotone, and Lila stood, tears in her eyes.

"That's not true. She shoved me on purpose. She is spreading lies about me. I'm being bullied."

"You admitted that lie was fact. And you started it."

Marinette turned to look at Lila, and he was startled by how cold her gaze was. A knock interupted them, and one of the teachers pulled the door open.

"Their parents are here."

"Great. Bring them in."

He sank lower in his seat, taking the ice pack off of his jaw and laying it on the arm rest.

"My daughter would never attack anyone." A dark haired woman immediately snapped, going to stand behind Lila.

Yeah, if only she had seen her precious daughter earlier.

"Honey what happened?"

His mother laid her hand on his shoulder, and he closed his eyes in shame. It was his fault. He should have just broke up with her, he shouldn't have told her why. A groan followed them, and they all turned to look at the doorway. Tom stood there, leaning heavily against the doorframe. He was wearing shades, though it wasn't particularly bright out. His clothes were dirty, and he reeked of booze. What the hell happened to Tom?

"What did you do now?"

He turned to Marinette, who had her fists clenched in her lap, staring straight ahead. He could see tears gathering in her eyes, but she made no attempt to hide them.

"She defended you and Sabine." He answered for her, and apparently he said something wrong.

Marinette immediately looked down, and he watched a tear pass through her bangs, landing on her lap. Was he supposed to have lied? Lila snickered next to him, and he knew then, he had definitely done something wrong.