Ligaya.

To love; it comes in different forms

To love; it comes in different forms. Mother loved (taught) me in a way of her own. I grew up without the outside world, thus, getting wary of it. Father offered little to no love for neither of us. Little to me and none for my mother.

A suitor (not one, but more than I could even count) came, specifically for my mother. The announcement of the death of my dear father made everyone both sorrowful and more greedy than they already were. I knew they weren’t after my mother nor were they competing their lives off just to prove their love for her.

They came from what every human lived for, which was money. Wealth, power, the strength to rule over a land and have people in the palm of their hands.

Eventually, someone won over my mother’s heart. He was a fair lad, exquisitely young and cunning. He was the heir of the Montgomery kingdom and was soon to be ruling over his father’s throne. He never felt like a father to me either.

Growing up, I thought to love was to win. To be greedy over money, lust, power. To rule over a land or to be bathed in gold. To be surrounded with mouth watered men exceedingly greedy for money.

And yet, he wasn’t any of those things. He was far from a man who gave little to no love. Far from a man who ached for gold or for women. He was something I have never seen before.

Camilo was far from everything I have seen, heard nor touched. His skin was far different from the cold sensation of golden coins that freshly came from a dug out treasure chest from the sea. His dulcet words that made my stomach churn were far different from a newly brewed tea in a fine afternoon.

His eyes shone brightest amongst every jewelry I have set my eyes upon. They held a certain beauty, an unbearing sight that I was always a loss of words for.

Father once told me, “To live is to seek beauty amongst other things.” And perhaps, for once, he was right.

Throughout the years of my life, I have seen great beauty in life. And yet, he leaves me in a state of awe. A feeling I have never felt before. His smile outstood every pot of gold, every silk dress, every newly baked tea, every diamond carved into a ring, and everything else before that.

Love wasn’t just one particular feeling, it comes in everything. In the morning rain, in the fits of laughter, in the warm feeling of his gentle grasp and in every smile he gives.

All of which I feel only for him.