Chapter I

I jerked from my bed when I heard an incoming footsteps. The anticipation I had was replaced with a frown when I saw Detective Jiang.

"Sorry, I wasn't who you were waiting for," he snorted as he arranged some papers on the table in front of the prison gate.

I sat back on my bed dejectedly. "Still got no news about her?"

"Unfortunately, I have no details to give you about her but I do have a proposal that might interest you."

I raised my brow at him.

I've known him for a while and my impression on him was that he liked to stick his nose into other people's business.

"I don't think there's anything I find interesting about you so just drop it."

He threw me an offended glance. "Are you sure you don't want to hear this? This might be your one way ticket in finally seeing her."

Just like that, he got my attention.

There was a moment of silence between us as I watched a conflicted expression flicker on his face.

"Would you like to join the police department?" he asked hesitantly.

For a while, I stared at him as if he grew another head.

"Are you trying to pull my leg?" I hissed. "Just in case your detective instincts are going rusty, may I remind you that I am criminal given a sentence of fifteen years in prison."

He sighed and clasped his hand on the table.

"Look, I know okay? But I also know that you are more than a criminal. I don't know what it is but my instinct is telling me that you'll be beneficial to the police department."

"Do you really think that your co-workers will let me work with the people that fight injustices? How about the citizens? They saw my face and they watched how I pleaded guilty in front of the court. They won't stay quiet about this."

I walked back and sat to my bed.

Honestly, his offer was tempting. There was nothing to lose but I don't think this will work out well.

I want to hurry up and finish my serving time so that I can be with You Yi and our baby again. But that would be fifteen years lost in our time.

She might have found someone to spend her life with.

To be honest, I'm scared.

I've been here for years yet she never visited me.

What could be the reason? I want to know but I'm scared at the same time.

I do want to get out here as soon as I can but accepting his offer might jeopardize the police department.

I don't care about Detective Jiang and his institution but he is the only one I know who has a strong sense of justice. If their department got dissolved because they let a criminal like me work with them, then no one will try to fight the anomalies that happens here in Shanghai.

I do hold a grudge against him but I know that when it came to fairness, Detective Jiang tries to be just at all times.

"I'll come back tomorrow. I'll talk to the head about this." He took a step towards the exit but halted half way and turned to me.

"I'm telling you this not because I pity you for waiting for a woman you have no information about anymore," he paused. "I'm saying this because I know you have a great sense of justice. Not to mention, your skills in combat and edge in looking for your prey. You'll fit perfectly in the police department."