Toddlers are the Worst (Star Trek LWD)

Star Trek: Lower Decks
Regressor Jack Ransom (2-3), Flip Beckett Mariner (8-12)

Mariner and Ransom are captured by some aliens and Ransom slips. Mariner has to try to escape while dealing with the bratty toddler for the first time and fighting between her caregiver and middle headspace. One thing's for sure, she's never babysitting Ransom.

They were locked in a cell on the planet, second contact had gone wrong. Mariner had gone off on here own for one of her little side missions. When Ransom went after her the two got into argument. They ended up catching the attention of some not so friendly locals who weren't as keen on the federation as the rest of the planet. Ransom had been knocked unconscious in their struggle, and ended up waking regressed.

Now Mariner was trying to figure out a way to get out but she was stuck between caregiver and regressed headspace, and dealing with a very little Ransom. It was like to sides of her brain were fighting each other about what to do, and Ransom's constant pouting about being bored and hungry, or his head hurting didn't help in the slightest. She felt like a some preteen babysitter, but at least babysitters get paid to hang out with whiny toddlers and got to be comfortable.

"My head hurts." Ransom whined.

Mariner sighed, "I know. When I get us out of here you can see Doctor T'Ana, okay?"

Mariner turned around when she heard something slide across the ground. Two cups of water sat just behind the bars. The alien who had delivered them was already walking away.

"You thirsty? You seem to be complaining about everything else." Mariner held out one of the cups to Ransom, "Here."

Ransom grumpily took the cup, he didn't want water, but he was thirsty so he would take a drink. He tilted the cup a little too far back and spilled most of the water down the front of his uniform. He grumbled something under his breath then whined loudly and threw his cup at the cell bars.

"Hey, don't throw your cup!"

Mariner rushed to pick up the cup, hoping she would get there before all of the water had spilled, but most of it had already been gone anyway. Ransom didn't say anything and just pulled his knees to his chest.

Mariner rolled her eyes, "You need to drink. We don't know how long we'll be in here or when they'll bring us more water."

"Can't!" Ransom cried, sticking out his bottom lip ever so slightly in a pout.

Okay, so maybe he was just frustrated that he's too little to do things, she could still deal with this. She's a caregiver too, not just a middle. Toddlers need help with things, she helps Tendi eat and drink things sometimes when the orion is regressed.

Mariner sighed, "Alright, here, I'll help you." She holds up her own cup and helps him drink the rest of the water, "See, it's okay. Everything is fine. Stop pouting about it, it's not a big deal."

On the other side of the bars the guard chuckled, having returned when he heard Ransom throwing his cup, "I'd heard about you humans' pathetic little defense." The alien stepped close, "Weak. Acting like a helpless child."

"Hey!" Mariner stood up and glared at the alien, "How about you shut your mouth before I crawl out there and strangle you!"

The alien laughed, "Does Mommy always come to protect you, Commander?"

Mariner glanced back at the little boy, expecting some snappy remark or something being thrown with an angry whine. But that wasn't what she was met with at all. His bottom lip was trembling and his eyes were clouding over with tears.

"Oh that's it!" Mariner reached through the bars, just barely managing to grab the guy's uniform, she glanced over her shoulder at the little boy, "Cover your ears, kiddo. This is not going to be safe for little ears."

Ransom covered his ears and looked away. He wasn't sure how long had past when the yelling stopped. He turned around when someone removed his hands from his ears.

"You good, kid?" Mariner asked, kneeling down

Ransom sniffled and nodded, "Mhm."

"Good. Look what I got." Mariner smirked, holding up the key's she'd snagged from the alien's belt, "We're gonna get out of here but you've gotta stay quiet and keep close to me."

Ransom peaked around her body, noticing a large gash on her arm, "Hurt?"

"What, no, I'm fine." Mariner insisted, rolling down her sleeves to cover it up, "Come on let's go, we have to hurry before the other guards get here."

Mariner grabbed Ransom's hand and pulled him to his feet. Ransom whined but followed her out of the cell. Mariner drug the little boy from hiding spot to hiding spot in search of their missing gear.

"Where the hell are our communicators?" Mariner groaned, mostly to herself.

Mariner spotted their communicators and phasers left unattended as the aliens were off searching for them. She ran over, still holding onto Ransom's hand, ducking behind crates to avoid being spotted. Ransom tried his best to keep up, but it was difficult in the mindset he was in, it took a lot just to keep himself from tripping over his own feet.

When they finally reached the gear, Ransom took the opportunity to sit down. He was tired of walking and running, and he was hungry. His head still hurt too, and all of the running around was making it worse. Mariner gathered their gear together as quickly as she could.

"Alright, let's go." Mariner said, but Ransom didn't get up, "Jack, come on."

"I'm tired." Ransom whined.

"We have to keep going or they're going to find us and lock us up again. Let's go."

Ransom crossed his arms and glared at Mariner. He stuck his tongue out at her and turned away. Of course he didn't understand the situation they were in, sometimes little kids were the worst.

"Ugh. I hate toddlers." Mariner rubbed her temples, "Fine, we'll stay here."

She would have to try her luck. Hopefully she could get through to the ship and transported out of there before they're found.

Freeman quickly answers the transmission when she saw it coming through, "Mariner! Is Ransom with you? Are you two alright?" Freeman asks.

"Yeah, he's here. And we're fine. I mean he might have a concussion." Mariner said.

Only a concussion? They got lucky, thing could have ended much worse.

"Ransom got hit on the head when we were captured and it made him slip. He's really little right now. Hey! Hey! Stay here! Stop trying to wander off! I thought you said you were tired!" Mariner snapped, supposedly at a very regressed Commander Ransom, she sighed, "Get us out of here."

"We're locking onto your signal right now." Freeman said.

Mariner and Ransom began to materialize on the transport pad. Mariner had a tight grip on Ransom's wrist to keep him from wandering off. He was stomping his feet and whining.

"Next time, one of you guys get captured with your kid. I am not a babysitter." Mariner said, finally releasing the little's wrist.

"Shaxs, get Ransom to medbay for a medical examination." Freeman said, motioning to the regressed officer.

Shaxs picked up the little and was met with a lot of squirming and squealing. Ransom screamed trying to push his way out of Shaxs arms. The other officer didn't give and held the boy firmly in place.

"No, no, no! Down! Down!" Ransom cried angrily.

"Bye Ransom." Mariner called after the whining, squirming little boy. She sighed and leaned back against the wall, "Ugh, he is a little brat."

"Don't I know it." Freeman rolled his eyes, "Now get to the medbay for your examination. I know you're hiding an injury somewhere."

"Ugh, fine."