《Jacksonville》

Summer: 18th June 2045

Ellie jerked up from her bed, startled and sweaty, relieved that a clicker wasn't gnawing on her neck. It was just a nightmare. She sat on the end of the bed and pulled the covers off herself. Reluctant to wake Dina up, who was sleeping soundly beside her, she got up quietly and walked into the hallway. She brushed her hair, which has grown since she last got it cut, three years ago, and entered the toliet. Ellie flicked the light on and stared at the mirror, showing the reflection of a girl, 26, with scruffy black hair, blood all over. Alarmed, she switched the tap on and filled the sink, then dunked her head in. She screamed as bubbles flew past her cheeks and cleaned off her face.

Dripping wet, she grabbed a towel and dabbed her face dry.
"Fuck." She muttered, unsettled.
She turned the light off and left the bathroom, closing the door behind her. In the hallway, she looked at a picture on the wall. It was her, Dina and JJ. Ellie smiled and laughed quietly.
"God JJ I love you...I love you both."

Everything was fine. That was until she turned her gaze to the photo next to it.
Joel.
Ellie stepped back and slid down the wall as she recalled the tragedies that took place in Seattle 7 years prior. Joel's face appeared in her mind, happy and alive. Then everything went red. All she saw was red.

As Ellie returned to reality, she was screaming and heaving, Dina beside her.
"Ellie! Ellie it's okay. It's me!" Dina comforted her and took her downstairs, sitting her down by the dining table. A few minutes later, Dina placed a cup full of tea in front of Ellie and joined her.
"I'm sorry for waking you up." Ellie said, taking a sip of the tea.
"It's alright babe." Dina replied. "I couldn't sleep anyway."
Ellie leaned her head on her shoulder.
"You know, Ellie. I think about him too."
"I do. But...but I just can't stop seeing her face." Ellie said.
"Abby?" Dina asked. "Listen, you did the right thing Ellie. Joel would've let her go if it was you." Dina reassured Ellie.
"No he wouldn't!" Ellie slammed her palm on the table. "If it was me, Joel wouldn't have let Abby live. Abby would've been dead within a week."
"If you killed her that would only have created more problems, Jackson wouldn't be where it is now and we...we wouldn't have the family and happiness we have."
Silence filled the room and Dina got up and kissed Ellie on the forehead.
"I'm going to go check on JJ and go back to bed. Join me when you feel like it." She put her cup in the sink and went up the stairs. Halfway up she stopped and said, "I love you Ellie."
But Ellie said nothing and Dina sighed, carrying on up the stairs.
Frustrated, Ellie retreated and grabbed her jacket and backpack, slipped her boots on and walked out the door.

It was a hot dawn and the sun was rising, painting the sky red and orange. Ellie trudged through the long grassy field and headed down the hill to Jackson Bar. The streetlamps shone down on the rocky path, flickering like a flame battling against a strong wind. Ellie stepped down onto the tarmac pavement and hurried towards the bar, opening the door on arrival. The bell dinged as she entered and, as it is open all hours, Jeff and Maria were behind the counter, serving drinks to a man with a blonde ponytail and a familiar limp.
"Ellie. You're down here early." Maria greeted.
Tommy, turned around, his drink spilling over his jacket.
"Ah shit, just cleaned this damned jacket." He wiped off his jacket and looked up at Ellie.
"Tommy. How you doing?" Ellie said, hugging him softly.
"I'm doing okay Ellie. What about you?" He replied.
"Same old, same old. Can't sleep so, why not come down to town?"
"Yeah. How's Dina and the little man?" He asked again.
"They're both okay. JJ is growing so fast it's like he's drifting away." Ellie said, taking a sip of the whiskey Jeff just poured for her.
"Right. I better get going, these lands ain't gonna patrol themselves." Tommy said, grabbing his walking cane.
"Darlin' I told you! No more patrols. Not after that bitch Abby shot half your face in." Maria's voice boomed across the bar tables.
Ellie has always been inspired by Maria. She runs a whole community while trying to keep the ones she loves close. She's firm about it but she sure knows how to make people listen..
"Maria please. I'm only taking the shorter routes until I get back on my feet. Don't worry, Adrian, Herbert, a few others and Ellie will be there too."
Ellie turned and gave Tommy a sharp stare.
"Wait what? No I don't do that shit anymore I have a fucking child."
"That didn't stop you from going after Abby to fucking Santa Barbara didn't it?" Tommy shouted, prodding his cane at Ellie's chest.
"You fucking told me to!" Ellie shouted back as Maria stepped in, pushing Ellie to the side.
"Ellie, can you please do this? For me. And for that god damned idiot over there." She whispered.
Ellie sighed, "Yeah, whatever. I need to go hunting anyway. Just let me go home and get ready first, I'm not leaving without saying goodbye to JJ and Dina."
Tommy smiled and limped over to the door, opening it. Kissing Maria on the cheek, Tommy puts his hand on Ellie's shoulder and says, "We leave at nine o'clock, AM."
Disgruntled, Ellie trudged off into the morning summer breeze and headed for home. She hadn't been on patrol in ages, no one has. Jackson has been stocked up for 2 years and with the amount of people dying from infected wandering in, there's barely anyone to feed. But Ellie has been doing this for a while. For Ellie, killing infected is no new task.