Chapter one

I've slept through my alarm twice this week and it's only Tuesday. I guess that's what I get for staying up late. And for shutting off my alarm.

I'm in the middle of a dream when my comforter is thrown off the bed. A chill makes its way through my body, waking me up. I don't need to open my eyes to know that Sydnie - My best friend - is glowering down at me.

"Avery, if you don't get that arse of yours out of bed right now." She warns.

Reluctantly, my eyes open and meet her ocean-blue eyes.

"What time is it?" I question, unsure if I want to know how late it is.

Sydnie looks at her wrist, where a watch would lay. "Time for you to get up before we're late."

My lips tug up into a smile. We have only ever been late once, and that was because Levi forgot something. Sydnie knows this.

"I'm sorry, I don't remember turning the alarm off."

I kick my feet off the side of the bed, holding my hand out for Sydnie to grab.

"It's fine." She sighs, grabbing my hand and pulling me up.

Every morning I drive both Levi and Sydnie to school. Both of them have cars, but we find it easier to carpool. There's the occasion when Levi or Sydnie will bring one of their cars, and we'll carpool in their car instead. However, it's usually me driving them to and from school. Not that I mind.

I get ready for the day the way most students do—shower, change, hair, teeth, makeup and whatever else.

"Avery, you've got to hurry up. We're running late," Levi calls from downstairs.

I pick up my bag and head downstairs. Sydnie is leaning against the stair rail. Levi's sitting on my dining room table, holding a coffee and his phone. Levi looks up as I step off the last step. He holds out the coffee for me to take.

"Thanks."

And with that, we're out the door like the three musketeers.

"Shotgun," Levi calls, jumping into the passenger seat.

I hear Sydnie snicker behind me as we join him in the car. 

"Why do you always get shotgun?" Sydnie complains.

"You ain't quick enough."

This goes on most mornings. Levi calls shotgun before Sydnie, Sydnie complaining about never getting it, Levi looking back at her and telling her she isn't quick enough while I drive us all to school. 

-

Eli stands next to his car as we pull into the parking lot. He has a grin on his face. He knows why we're late.

"You're late. Happen to sleep in again, Avery?" he chuckles.

"Oh yes, she did," Sydnie confirms with a smile.

"I didn't mean to. I didn't know I turned my alarm off."

I lift my hands in the air like I'm surrendering. Levi wraps his arm around my shoulders, leading us into the school.

"It's okay, Avery," Levi reassures before continuing. "I'll just start waking you when I go to the gym. Then you won't oversleep."

I don't need to look to see Levi smiling wide. He knows that won't happen. We all know that won't happen.

The warning bell rings, so we split off in different directions to go to class.

-

The last bell of the day rings, pulling me away from the song I was composing.