Chapter Nine: "Tease Me"

Začať od začiatku

The moment he moved out, he smiled to himself as he set the basket down on the counter. Mark was laying on the floor behind the counter, snoring away softly. He could see that he had sanded down a few of his shelves that had been in need of it. Realizing that he must have run out of things to do and just decided to nap. He'd never seen Mark sleep before. There was just something so peaceful about seeing the way Mark's hand rested against his chest and the way his head rested on his arm. He started to reach down to wake him but stopped himself. He didn't want to ruin whatever peaceful dream he was in, or the rest that he seemed to need. Smiling, he moved away from him to restock the shelves and cleaned up the place. Then taking his list around the front, he took inventory of what was selling and what wasn't. He wrote notes and tried to calculate math in his head, while humming to himself. He was so distracted and set in his regular routine, that he jumped clear out of his skin when Mark asked from right behind him. "Are you hungry?" Jack tossed his booklet at Mark on a reflex, but Mark caught it before it hit him. Clutching his heart, Jack snapped out breathlessly. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

Mark winced, gesturing off toward the door as he answered coolly. "No. I was going to offer getting something to eat. Cause I'm starving..." Jack hugged himself, stating a little surprised. "Are you asking me to join you for lunch?" Mark thought about it, then answered a little surprised with himself. "Ya... I guess, I am." Shrugging, Jack told him nervously as he made his way back to the counter. "Or... we could stay here, and you can have this." Pulling the smaller basket off the counter, he turned to hold it out to him. Mark walked over, causing Jack to stop breathing again. Would Mark like it? Sniffing the air a bit, Mark asked him curiously. "Why? Do you not want to be seen with me?" Jack shook his head, mumbling out shyly. "No... I just... If I think up more questions. I don't want others to overhear or... distract you." Mark leaned forward to sniff the basket, then asked him a little teasingly. "A meat pie? It's not made with rat, is it?" Jack lowered the basket, huffing a little offended, until Mark reached out to take the basket. Their hands touched for a few blissful seconds, before Mark added playfully. "I know it's not. But I am curious... was that story true?"

Jack blushed, slinking away from him when he said honestly. "Yes... I made it originally for myself. But I chickened out and gave it to a stray dog." Mark smirked, lifting the booklet to tap Jack on the head with it, before giving it back to him. Fixing his hair, Jack put the booklet down and told him through a timid chuckle. "You're not going to tell me that you were the stray, right?" Mark chuckled beautifully, shaking his head. Then dug around in the basket. Jack's heartbeat almost pounded out of his chest as he waited to see how Mark would react to what else he'd put in there. Mark pulled out the meat pie, then reached back in to pull out a cookie that had an indent of a heart with blue jelly in it. Mark's eyes darted up to meet his, prompting Jack to nervously rush out. "I thought... You'd want to try one before taking the others to her." It was a flat out lie. All the other cookies were sugar cookies with red jelly. This one was a peanut butter cookie with blueberry jelly. He didn't know why he wanted to make Mark food or why he cared if he'd like it... but he had. Mark sniffed the warm cookie, then asked him curiously. "Why peanut butter?" Jack gestured to the kitchen, answering honestly. "You were trying to snatch my fresh ones off the rack earlier. So... I figured you must like them."

Mark flashed him a warm grin, bringing the cookie to his mouth. Jack told himself to look away, but he couldn't. He wanted to see his reaction to it. Mark parted his lips and Jack grabbed the counter behind him to keep himself steady. Mark's teeth sank into the cookie and Jack shuffled his feet a little. He hated how awkward this felt but was too nervous and shy to do anything. Mark finally looked away from him to chew and set out the meat pie next. Swallowing, he told Jack warmly. "I hope the others don't taste like that." Jack tensed, blurting out a little heartbroken. "Why? What was wrong with it?" Mark's eyes casually looked up at him, before saying with a wicked smile. "Nothing. I just wouldn't save her any." Jack exhaled loudly in relief, then smacked Mark's arm with the booklet in light frustration. Mark winced from the blow but chuckled out to him. "Did my opinion of it mean that much to you?" Jack rolled his eyes, grumbling out. "No. I made them for HER." Mark nodded to himself, his attention on his meat pie now, until he suddenly swiped the basket for Carolyn off the counter. Jack jerked upright in response, practically hopping over the counter to try snatching the basket back as he said loudly. "HEY! What are you doing?! Stop! Those are for her!"

Mark backed away from the counter and by the time that Jack rushed around the counter, Mark pulled out one of the cookies to show him that there was a clear difference. Jack skidded to an abrupt stop, his heart sinking to the floor. Mark locked eyes with him for a moment, before putting the cookie back to set the basket back on the counter. Jack slowly backed up from Mark, while Mark carefully walked toward him, saying in a low buttery voice. "You didn't make that for her. Just be honest with me..." Jack gulped, backing around the counter and into the kitchen as he replied. "I didn't... I... I thought the guy you were with might like them." Mark rolled his eyes, telling him sweetly. "Liar. The guy I was with isn't interested in physical cookies... He'd want the sly innuendo involving them. Besides, I'm tired of denying that he's just using me. Why would I give him anything that I haven't already? I'm tired of being attached to his chain. Waiting for him to come around. To give a shit about my needs for a change. When I have someone like you outside the fence." Jack blinked, stammering out. "Like me...? But... I..." Mark reached out to grab the front of Jack's shirt, slowly pulling him closer with a grin. Jack leaned back from him, his cheeks burning, and his heart racing laps in his chest.

Leaning close to his neck, Mark whispered to him in low loving tone. "Look at me. Tell me that I'm wrong..." Jack inhaled barely enough to give him answer. However, upon turning to look at him, Jack forgot how to speak. He couldn't see Mark's eyes but loved how his dark bangs hung over his face. The smell of warm wood clung to his skin, filling his nose and upon seeing his parted lips... it was enough to break him. Mark touched his forehead to his, turning slightly to look at him. Whatever Mark was going to say, Jack silenced with a kiss. Mark's hands moved down Jack's sides to rest on his waist. While Jack's hands slide cautiously up Mark's arms to grab his shoulders. Jack felt like his body phased out from the world. The only thing that kept him from complete nonexistence was Mark's kiss. He didn't know what to do. His kiss was just him putting his lips to his. Mark smirked into the kiss, before putting his finger under his chin to steady him. Then Mark slowly moved his lips over his until he started copying him. When Mark pulled back shortly though, turning his head away with a breathless growl. Jack didn't know what possessed him, but he turned Mark's chin back to make him look at him. Staring into the bright wolf eyes hidden behind his long bangs.

Brushing his bangs away to see them better, Mark closed his eyes with shame, dropping his hand from Jack's chin. Which only prompted Jack to whisper to him. "Look at me...?" He didn't expect Mark to listen to him, but he did. Slowly opening his eyes to reveal his bright yellow wolf eyes. Jack felt a small twinge of fear, but it faded the longer he looked at them. He'd seen wolf eyes in his nightmares when he was a kid but staring at them this closely. They weren't at all like he remembered. They were bigger than a humans, but there was a softness to them. Mark put his hand on Jack's chest like he was going to push him back, but he didn't. Instead, he asked him in a broken voice. "Does it bother you to know what's beneath the surface?" Taking a deep breath, he told him truthfully. "They'll take some getting used to. But they don't bother me. There actually quite... beautiful. Just like the rest of you." Jack bit his tongue for letting the last bit slip out in his trance. Although, for the first time... he saw Mark blush as he smiled. Trying to hide his face behind his hand, Mark chuckled out. "So, you do find me attractive?" Jack rolled his eyes, pushing Mark's hand off his chest, when he mumbled out reluctantly. "I thought you could sense it?"

Mark stepped back a little, telling him in a tender voice. "I can only sense your sexuality based on how you smell when I do things or say things. But you've never verbally confirmed anything." Jack licked his dry lips, watching Mark bow his head to tell him nervously. "I know I'm... not very good at this part. I'm not really the romantic type. I'm not used to being around shy guys... but... I just want you to know that... if you want to try taking this somewhere. I'd be interested in dating a good guy for a change. One that makes me cookies and cares about what I think... over someone that just wants me to give them up and be content about it." Jack leaned back against the counter, casually telling him. "But you're engaged to Carolyn... This would break her heart." Mark bowed his head, replying in a guilty tone of voice. "I don't love her... It's better to break her heart and have her look for someone who will love her like she deserves. Then to be saddled with me... and what I am. Which if someone like Geralf finds out... He'd only hurt her worse thinking that I had told her." Mark backed away more now, adding in a grim voice. "I guess, I'm putting you in that same position, huh...? I told you my secrets are a burden and a curse."

Jack squeezed the countertop but told him nicely. "Take me to my grandmother. And maybe... if things go well between us... Maybe we just won't come back?" To Be Continued...