iii. serpentine

✧⁺❀ C h a p t e r t h r e e . . .

Several monotonous school days passed, each one dragging on for seemingly millenia and the time grew since Violet had last seen Daniel

Several monotonous school days passed, each one dragging on for seemingly millenia and the time grew since Violet had last seen Daniel. After he had stormed away from the football pitch, she hadn't been able to find him, despite sprinting. She was just left hoping that he managed to feel better as the day went on.

Violet's weekly schedule had been overloaded with activities (namely those her parents forced her into) and she had been left scarce spare time. For relief, she was presently in her karate dojo, which was her one safe haven.

Despite her love of the sport, however, many aspects of her dojo were less pleasing. The space was completely male-dominated; it was only an extremely high offer of money that had quickly persuaded her stubborn sensei to train her. She was terrified of and loathed him. Even worse, she was constantly entrapped in a circle of Johnny and his friends.

The Cobra Kai sensei was a man named John Kreese, who Violet thought it impossible not to despise. He was ruthless, merciless and in her opinion, mentally unhinged.

One of his favourite ways to start a session of karate was by instilling his philosophy of no mercy in a show of serpentine propaganda. The boys easily submitted to what Violet viewed as brainwashing, but she was much more resistant. Whilst she allowed the empty replies to tumble from her lips, in her mind she enjoyed forming more cynical and sarcastic responses.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?" Kreese snapped rhetorically.

"No sensei!" echoed a chant of boys.

Violet initially felt her thoughts dwell on all the fears she had. Personally, she feared her parents and the harsh judgements they so often bestowed on her. She was terrified of any cracks appearing in her façade of flawless contentment, for risk of them disowning her.

On a more amusing note, her mind flickered to some fears of her fellow students she was aware of. She was very aware Johnny had a phobia of dogs. Perhaps this may be viewed as rational when viewing some more savage breeds, but nothing made Violet laugh more than seeing him quiver at the sight of her pomeranian, Bowie. The picture in her mind brought a smile to her lips.

"Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it?"

"No, sensei!"

Violet allowed her mind to flicker back to the previous week, when she had kicked Tommy in the balls and he crumpled to the ground in tears. He insisted that he was not crying and there was no pain - he just conveniently had something in his eye at the exact second she struck. She had, in fact, made tears in some form come to all the boys in the dojo, whether it be with her punches or kicks. The brunette girl grinned. No pain at all!