Chapter 2: Medusa

WARNING, NOT FINISHED, SUDDEN CUT IN DIALOGUE

 Hello there. If you are reading this it is likely that I am already dead. I was once a priestess of Athena, but that was some time ago.  

I'm sure most of you know a version of my story. Most likely it's the one where I was in love with Poseidon. The one where we defiled my goddesses temple on purpose. However I'm sorry to say that's not true.

 I was never in love with Poseidon. In fact, I'd never been in love with anyone. I devoted myself to the worship of Athena. That devotion may have been the only thing that kept me alive for so long.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

I should most likely introduce myself, but I have a feeling you may already know who I am. My name is Medusa and, as I said previously, I was once a faithful servant to the goddess Athena. That is, before she turned me into a horrible monster who turns men to stone with a single look. You may hear this and think I am resentful but know this and know it well, I bear no ill will to my goddess. After all, she is the reason I met the most wonderful person in the world. 

Before I regale you with that story, let me tell you about how I came to be the monster of many children's tales. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

In the stories you hear, I was first portrayed as a beautiful woman, sought after by many, the  most notable of all my suitors was Poseidon, god of the sea.

 As far as these stories go, this is about all that is true. I once was beautiful, and Poseidon did make his advances, but he was always rebuffed. I was loyal to only Athena and as her priestess, I took an oath of celibacy when I first started my role. 

I welcomed all women who sought shelter and assistance into the temple of Athena, just as it was to be ordered by the goddess herself. The temple was my and many others' safe place. 

But that security would be short lived. Catching Poseidon's eye meant day after day of denying the god of myself. In his eyes, it was either come willingly or be forced.

One night while I tended the fires of the temple, Poseidon came to visit. He made his usual advances, I told him no. For some reason that shall never be known to me, that night  was the final straw for him.

He charged me. That night, I would fight for my life as I struggled to escape the god. I knew that if he were to catch me, he would defile me and the temple. I couldn't let that happen. So, I made a run for the doors. I had almost made it off the steps of the temple when a fist grabbed my arm. 

That was the night my oath was broken. 

As I lay on the steps, cold and crying, I heard a voice. "Rise, Medusa." a female voice called. I couldn't see through my teary eyes, and the only light was from the now smoldering fires of the temple. "Who's there?" I had whispered, as another tear rolled down my face. "I am your goddess, Athena. Rise, my faithful servant." 

I  noticed a glowing form standing behind me. I turned and knelt at her feet, hanging my head in shame as I sobbed. "Lady Athena, have mercy upon my soul! I have destroyed your temple's holiness, but I beg of you, have mercy!" Athena only spoke calmly. 

"Hush my child, this was not your doing." A gentle hand touched my head as I sobbed quietly. "Look at me, dear, for I am not angry with you." I raised my head in obedience. My goddess had tears in her eyes as she looked at me. "Truly, my humble servant, I will protect you. You have not forsaken my name nor my temple, but as I am unable to punish Poseidon, I must do something to save you." I bowed my head in relief. "Please, my lady, whatever you see fit."

Lady Athena told me to close my eyes as she began to glow brightly. In the next moment, I heard the hissing of snakes around my face and felt their slithers along my scalp. Leathery wings sprouted from my back and fangs grew on my mouth.

 "My lady, what have I become?" I asked as Athena draped a cloth over my shivering body. "You have become a gorgon, my dear. No man may hurt you now. A single look shall turn them to stone." A rush of relief crashed over my form. "Thank you, my lady, I will forever be indebted to you." Athena nodded and pulled me into a hug.

 The goddess  told me to hide my face until I reached a cove on the outskirts of the town. She said I would be safe there for as many years as I wished to live. She asked of any request I had and I only asked that she let my priestess sisters know what had become of me and that I would not conceive.

My goddess and savior agreed before disappearing in a flash of light, asking me to be careful .

Unfortunately, a man had been out walking that night and when he saw my face, he petrified. After that I hallowed the word 'careful'

Careful was all I was for those first years. I live my life in shadow and secrecy, learning to hunt and forage to survive. Then the first man came. He barged into my home, and tried to take me by surprise. My snakes had sensed him though, and as soon as I looked him in his face, it turned to stone. 

Over the next 10 years I faced countless  self proclaimed heroes, all sent to slay the hideous Medusa. 

The first heroes were the worst as I was still getting used to turning them to stone.  Looking back, that was one of the only aspects of my humanity that I had left at the time. It was the last scrap of human nature that kept me sane. It was the grief that I felt for every life I took.

I'm used to it now. After all, how else was I to keep her safe

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

This is the part of my story that you never hear. It likely wouldn't have been told if I hadn't written it down. You see, there was a maiden who once stumbled into my cave. She was trying to escape Zeus's entrapment. 

"Hello? Is someone in here? I seek shelter from the Lord Zeus." My snakes hissed as I froze in shock. I closed my eyes, this one might deserve a chance at escape. 

"Do not seek it here, maiden, it's not safe." "And why not?", The young woman spoke from behind me. I paused, unsure of how to answer. "Do you not know where you are? You have found a monster." I heard the woman go still. "Where is this monster exactly?" Again, I paused, not knowing what to say. In that moment I made my decision. 

"The monster is I, for I am Medusa." I heard a soft gasp. "Leave now, maiden, and you shall be spared." I ordered, and yet I heard no footsteps retreating, the only sound was that of the woman's feet padding closer and my own breathing.

 "I seek shelter from Zeus." The maiden stated, her voice much closer than it should have been. "I warned you to leave!" I turned around to face to woman, preparing myself to see her to turn to rock.

Instead, I was met with a blank stare. The woman's eyes held a cloudy haze, it was strange but beautiful.

I gasped at first, shocked that the woman was immune to my power. Shock quickly turned to fear. 

"Who sent you to kill me?" Question and anger slipped into my voice, hiding the panic.

The woman's face stayed blank and unmoving. "No one has sent me to kill you. I am here to get away from the lord of the skies. He has set his sights on having his way with me and I have set my sights on...well, nothing really, as I cannot see-"

"You- you cannot see, fair maiden?" I questioned. "No," she giggled, "I cannot see, o monstrous one." I recoiled at the sarcasm, yet I kept my head.

"You shan't tread on me if you wish to stay in my home, maiden."