Good News and Bad News

Start from the beginning

"Oh, great, I hope he didn't scare you."

"Nah, don't worry about it, I just can't believe you didn't tell me." He strode over to my mess of a studio.

"Sorry, I've just been so focused on getting everything right. I don't want to be rejected again," I began to chew on my nails again. What if no one liked my paintings? What if I became the laughing stock of the auction? Nervousness pooled in my stomach, making me feel a bit sick. I looked up when I felt a pair of hands pull mine away from my mouth.

"Hey, you're gonna do great, I'm sure of it," Shota clasped his hands in mine. "Your art is amazing, and I'm positive you'll sell all of them. Besides, if for some reason it goes wrong, I'll save you." I giggled and stepped closer to him, enjoying the comfort that radiated from him.

"My hero," I teased, letting him pull me into another hug.

"Just breathe for a minute," he rested his head on top of mind and rubbed circles on my back. It was more intimate than any of our other interactions. He's just being friendly, I reminded myself. It felt nice, though, being held like this while swaying back and forth. "Izumi," Shota broke the silence, "you're much more talented than you let yourself believe." I just hummed in response, not knowing what to say. I was confused. He was acting as if we were a couple, but we're just friends.

Shota groaned when his phone started ringing. He reluctantly pulled away from me and took the call. I tried calming my heart and my blush down enough to face him again. This was all so confusing. If he was leading me on without having feelings for me, then why play with my heart like this? "I'm sorry, but I've got to go," he grasped my hand again. "I will be at your auction, I promise," he then leaned down to plant a kiss on my forehead. I let out a tiny gasp as he walked away to leave me alone in my apartment.

The day of the auction was here, and I was a complete mess. Well, on the outside I looked put together, but my insides were a tangle of nerves. I refrained from biting my nails, opting to chew the inside of my cheek instead. My anxiety soared yesterday, however, when I found out that the pamphlet had advertised the event incorrectly. It wasn't an auction, more like an organized, public yard sale only for art. I had to put the prices on my art at the last minute, and I worried that I had priced them wrong.

I was placed in a room where some paintings hung on the wall, some rested on a table, and some leaned against the wall. The prices were displayed on the pieces, as well as a brief description of each. I checked my phone one more time, trying not to worry. Shota told me that he was going to be here, but I hadn't heard from him since this morning. It was already almost two in the afternoon and he still hadn't texted me. He was a hero, though, and was probably dealing with a case, which is exactly why I was worrying.

As my first customer began perusing around the room, however, I put my worries to the back of my mind. It was time to focus on the here and now. "Hello, you can look at anything you like," I smiled. "If you want to know more about the art, you may ask me." The woman just nodded and went back to her browsing. Eventually, she just walked into a different person's room, which discouraged me a little. It was only one person, though, there was bound to be more.

I ended up telling a lot of people about my art, and how I began painting them. I even got around to selling some of the smaller pieces, which weren't worth a lot of money, but it would still help pay the bills. As the auction dragged on, more and more people were flooding into the room I was in. I had a lot of offers, and some even bargained with others over who would get a certain painting. I pinched myself multiple times to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I snuck texts to my brother a few times to let him know how it was going, and I checked to see if I had gotten any messages from Shota. Kaito kept sending me texts of congratulations, but Shota remained radio silent. I tried not to dwell on that fact, though, and began packing up my things. As the auction was coming to a close, I realized that I had made quite a bit of money. I looked around at the empty walls that used to be filled with my paintings. For the first time in a long time, I felt confident in my abilities.

"Miss Okazaki?" a voice called.

"Yes?"

"I would like to congratulate you on selling all of your paintings," the man shook my hand.

"Thank you, sir, I'm happy that it worked out," I smiled.

"My name is Daiki and I have seen how talented you are when it comes to art. I was wondering if you would be interested in working for me. I run a small shop that contains the world's newest artists. I think you would be a great addition to the collection." My eyes kept getting wider the more he talked. This was it, the big break I had been waiting for. I only wished I had done this sooner. I opened my mouth to answer him, but my phone suddenly started ringing. I looked at the caller ID and furrowed my brow when I saw that it was Hizashi who was calling me.

"I'm so sorry, Mr. Daiki, I have to take this," I apologized.

"It's no trouble, here's my card. You can contact me whenever you're ready to give me your decision. I don't have a deadline, so take all the time you need," he bowed and then left.

"Hey Hiz, what's up?" I frowned when he didn't answer, but he soon spoke up.

"Izumi, there was an attack on the USJ building," he started slowly. Dread filled my chest as he spoke. "Villains attacked Class 1-a and..." he paused to take in a shaky breath. "Shota's in critical condition."