12 - twelve

══*

══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*══

⚠️ warning: abuse

Esther stood in silence as she stared at the black casket being lowered in the ground. Ada stood right next to the big hole, tears on her face. Freddy left his wife and a child behind, a fucking tragedy.

Vincent, Esthers boyfriend lit himself a cigarette before holding it to her mouth. "Here you go." he smiled. She hesitantly took the cigarette from his big hand and looked away. Thomas, who stood next to her, eyed the two carefully. He didn't like Vince, neither did any other member from their family. The way he talked and acted made John want to fuckin' kick 'is face in, as he liked to say.

"Let's go." Vincent spoke, grabbing Esthers wrist tightly. "I'd like to-"We've had enough for today, Esther." He dragged her behind himself, she stumbled as she tried to balance her steps. "Vincent, stop" she yanked her hand from his grip, eyes fierce. "You're hurting me." she whispered as Thomas made his way over, seen enough. "What the fuck is going on."

He pushed Esther behind himself. "Nothing, man. I'm just getting my worked up girlfriend home." Vincent tried as he opened the car door for her. "Get in, love." he spoke. Tommy gave Esther a stern look. "You're taking my sister home, keep that in mind." he countered.

⌞  •°•☽ ☾•°• ⌟

Esther stood in front of her bathroom mirror, eyes tired. Life has been unkind to her, her brothers were busy with the company and her sister left town to be with her husband and son. Irene left for Ireland to recover and heal. She was alone until a man came along, a wonderful man. He ushered her with loving words, made her feel loved.

Everything seemed perfect, it was perfect until they had their first fight and his big palm had hit her across the face.

The pruple bruise on her upper arm started to bloom, stinging. Green and yellow bruises started to fade, scattered over her skinny body. She started to eat less, smile less, be less of the woman she used to be. She was someone she would've thrown a pittied look to two years ago, no Shelby should have themselves treated like this. She knew.

"Esther, love." he knocked on the door. Esther didn't answer, a single tear running down her cheek. "Open the door." he demanded, voice growing angry. "I can't be like this anymore." she whispered to herself. "I don't want to be like this anymore." Tears running down her cheeks. "Open the door!" He yelled as she cupped her ears and slid down the wall opposite to the door.

"God, help me"

⌞  •°•☽ ☾•°• ⌟

Her eyes fluttered open as she heard the front door shut closed. Esther needed a moment to recognize her surroundings. She was still in the bathroom, cowered next to the sink. A grunt left her mouth as she got the feet, she unlocked the bathroom door and made her way down into the kitchen.

There sat a plate with a fried egg and two pieces of bacon, next to it a note in Vincents handwriting.

Sorry for yesterday, have a nice day.

love, vince.

Esther stared at it some more before dumping the contents on the porcelain plate into the bin, she didn't feel like eating.

"I can't believe you yelled at me" he cursed, hands gripping the steering wheel. "Vince, i'm sorry." She tried, hand hovering over his shoulder. He throat felt dry, hands clammy and her heart beat in her ears. "You embarrassed me!" He yelled, a yelp left her mouth.

Without a warning his hand connected with the back of her head. Esther couldn't see for a moment, head spinning. She gripped the back of her head with shut eyes.

"Stupid cunt" he cursed under his breath.

Esther closed her eyes and took a breath. In what world had she deserved this?

⌞  •°•☽ ☾•°• ⌟

Thomas had called a family meeting. Now that Vincent was gone for work she could go and be with her family. Something she hadn't have in a few weeks.

Before she opened the door to the betting shop she closed her eyes, took a deep breath and sat a small smile on her tired face.

"Esther!" Finn cheered. "Finny" she cuddled into her baby brother. "There you are, love" Polly smiled at her, armes wide open. "We almost thought you couldn't come" Esther chuckled and shook her head.

"I won't miss a family meeting, Pol." She nodded. "Have you eaten anything?" Esther shook her head, Finn squirming out of her hands. "I'll fix you something, tell Tommy i'll be in in a minute."

Esther nodded her head and walked through the door, Finn running ahead of her. "Esther, good to see you." Esme smiled, Esther gave her a hug. "Good to see you too." She spoke.

"You've lost some weight, haven't you?"

⌞  •°•☽ ☾•°• ⌟

The Garrison was busy, a lot of men yelled and drunk. She had missed this, the liveliness of the pub.
"We're going to london" Tom stated as Esther grabbed a cigarette from his pack.

"You're coming with us" he spoke. Arthur drank from his glass, eyeing Esther. He eyebrows furrowed as she waved her hands in denial. "I can't just go to london, what about Vince?" John snorted and took a drag from his cigarette.

"I'll handle him." Tom said. "Pack some stuff, we're going tomorrow morning" she nodded, too tired to protest. Arthur and John left, bored.

"What's up with you?" Tommy broke the silence. Esther shook her head. "I'm fine" she said, eyes not fining his.

I'm not fine.
She wanted to say.

I'm dying
She wanted to scream.

"Something's up with you." He protested, taking the last sip of his glass. "I'm just tired." She tried to ease his suspicion. "I best leave now." She sighed, putting her done cigarette out. "Vincent get's all fuzzy when there's no food when he gets home" Esther gave him a kiss on the cheek as she left, not missing the almost faded green mark on her exposed collarbone.

"Vincent" he whispered as he toyed with his pack of cigarettes.

"You're a dead man, Vincent."

══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*══

get ready for some real angst my friends :)