Chapter 2

"B?" A voice rattled through the phone.

"Hey V. Where are you?" Betty asked, hearing the background noise.

"I'm in the club...hang on a sec!" Veronica yelled over the music.

Betty could hear music and glasses clashing noisily in her ear until she heard nothing.

"That's better. Sorry, B, what were you saying?" Veronica asked, presumably now outside.

"Nothing, I was just wondering if you wanted to do lunch at sometime next week?" Betty asked.

"Sure, B. Oh, what if I bought Reg-?" Veronica started.

"No! V, that's not happening, how many times have I got to tell you?" She whined.

"You've been single for so long and Reggie is Archie's best friend, imagine how many double dates we can have!"

"It's not happening." Betty stated firmly.

"So, what, you're just gonna stay single forever?" Veronica said, slurring slightly.

"Well, maybe not forever..." Betty mumbled.

"Oh my God...you met someone!" Veronica cried.

"What? No, I haven't!" Betty said, chastising herself for instantly thinking of Jughead.

"Betty, I know you better than I know the ins and outs of Kimye's divorce."

"Okay, firstly, can I be slightly concerned about your obsession with this divorce? And secondly, I haven't met someone..." Betty trailed off.

"B...come on. Just tell me." Veronica said, clearly hearing the smile in her voice.

"There was a customer today. He came in with his son and I...it's weird, I just can't stop thinking about them." Betty said.

"Them?" V asked.

"Well his son came and sat on my table and he's just the sweetest kid and it just shows how much of an amazing father Jughead is." Betty smiled as she fiddled with the corners of the pages of the book that she was reading.

"Jughead? I'm sorry, how many times have you met this guy? And how old is he if he has a son?" Veronica asked, seemingly concerned.

"Yes, his name is Jughead. And he's not old, he's a young dad and his kid's little. I've only met him once but it was weird...I felt this connection." Betty sighed.

"You've called it weird twice now...none of this is weird, B. It's called being happy and excited. Why do you think it's weird?" She got in reply.

"It's because I've never felt this...this attraction before. I know I sound crazy but it's just the way that I feel." Betty answered.

"You don't sound crazy, you sound like you're in love." Veronica sang and giggled.

"Okay, slow down, V." Betty giggled.

—————

Betty woke up naturally the next morning, grateful to start the day and not have to go to work on the weekend.

She pulled on her jogging gear and made her way out of the apartment building and onto the street, planning her route to Central Park with Gizmo, her adored chocolate labradoodle puppy.

"Come on, girly." Betty called, tugging on her lead slightly to urge her away from the front steps, beginning to set the pace.

Betty felt the tension roll off her body as she entered the park, watching as Gizmo's ears flapped in the wind, trying to keep up.

She slowed her run into a gentle jog as she passed families and other joggers on the path.

After Betty had been running in the park for 10 minutes when Gizmo started to tug on her lead, pulling Betty along before she managed to ground herself.

Betty looked at Gizmo, only to see that she was jumping up on a man.

"Gizmo, down! I'm so sor-" Betty started as she pulled Gizmo down and looked up, causing her to pause.

The smiley blue eyes that bore down on her made her heart flip.

"Jughead...hi." Betty smiled. "I'm sorry about that, she's a little energetic, it's one of her first walks since her injections." She apologised.

"It's okay, we all get a little excited when there's ice cream involved." Jughead replied, smiling at her.

"Hi Betty!" Little Atticus said, breaking her gaze to look down at him.

He gently smoothed his hand over Gizmo's fur, biting his lip in concentration.

"Hey buddy, how are you?" Betty asked, sweetly, kneeling down with him to play with Gizmo.

"Good. Um, can she have some ice cream?" Atticus asked, nervously.

Betty found it odd to see him nervous like this since the little boy seemed to radiate confidence.

"Of course she can. You can give her a little bit if you want." Betty smiled as Jughead handed Atticus a tub of soft whip ice cream for the puppy to lick from.

"Betty, what's her name?" He giggled as the dog licked at his hand.

"Her name is Gizmo. She's 12 weeks old." Betty laughed, watching them play.

Atticus grabbed onto Betty's arm to prevent himself from falling back when Gizmo nudged his knee a little too hard from where he was crouching.

Betty put her hand gently on his back to make sure that he didn't fall as Atticus giggled.

Jughead smiled at his son's happiness.

"That's a funny name. I want a doggie but daddy says we can't have one." Atticus said, a small pout on his lips.

"I've already told you, kid, we're not home enough." Jughead sighed, regret on his face as he thought about letting his son down.

Betty, seeing this, tried to make them both feel better.

"Well, you're welcome to play with Gizmo whenever you want." She smiled.

"Really?" Atticus squeaked.

She nodded her head in reply.

"Daddy, I can play with Gizmo!" Atticus informed his dad as he wrapped his arms around the dog who gave him a lick of love on his cheek.

"Silly Gizmo." He muttered as he wiped his cheek gently.

"I heard, Attie. Come on, I think we should leave Betty and Gizmo to their run, don't you think?" Jughead said, reluctantly.

Atticus pouted, wanting to hang out with the pup for a little while longer as he stood up with Betty doing the same.

"Okay..." He sighed, holding onto his dad's hand.

"Thanks for that, takes some of the guilt away from me." Jughead muttered quietly to Betty, leaning slightly so that she could hear him.

"No problem." She smiled.

Betty saw Jughead leaning closer towards her and was confused as to what was helping before she felt his arms wrap around her in a warm hug.

She paused as she felt him embracing her and his hard, lean body pressing against hers.

Jughead can't seem to recall the moments before the hug but he certainly didn't regret it when he felt her hug him back.

"See you soon." Jughead said with a wink as they pulled away.

Betty nodded shyly with a light blush on her cheeks as he began to walk away, Atticus in tow.

"Bye Betty, bye Gizmo!" Atticus called over his shoulder as he trailed away a grumpy look on his face.

Betty giggled slightly as she waved back.

She turned around and continued on with her jog.

She was still smiling when she arrived home.