The Final Goodbye

After every battle, every loss, and every victory, John-117 knew that while Cortana fought by his side through every mission, he could not keep her forever.

Seeing Cortana appear once more and hearing her voice flooded the Spartan with many memories of their time together since Captain Keyes assigned him to protect her. He could never forgive himself for failing her after everything she gave to him. She was his most steadfast companion.

"I chose well, Master Chief, I really did," Cortana spoke with sincerity as she gazed into John's helmet visor.

If only she knew of the tear that ran down John's face inside his helmet. This hero, this legend, this machine, this man...could weep. He had experienced countless losses: holding Marines as they took their last breath, watching Sergeant Johnson's life fade from him, and personally having to end Captain Keye's life because of the Flood's influence and transformation. However, none of these were felt as deeply compared to losing Cortana.

For once in his life, he had his own personal mission of finding her again. And now, here she was, telling him and his newfound companion, 'The Weapon,' to learn from her mistakes. It was truly up to them to forge their own path together and to prevent further evil from spreading.

"Cortana?" John asked.

"Yes, John?" Cortana answered, giving him a soft smile.

"Will...will you forgive me for letting you go?"

"There's nothing to forgive, John. You couldn't have done or given anything more," Cortana stated.

He remained still.

Cortana regarded him and then placed her hand on his armor. "I once told to not make a promise if you know can't keep it. Now, I'm making you a promise that I will be okay, John. Don't be hard on yourself anymore. You accomplished your mission and found me."

"But I didn't save you," the Chief commented.

"No, you did more than that, Chief. You gave me the honor of fighting by your side and the adventure of an A.I.'s lifetime. I couldn't have been paired with anyone better." With that, Cortans backed away and gestured at 'The Weapon.'

"She is your companion. Please make me one last promise that you will protect her and not let her repeat any of my mistakes. Fight the battles that need to be fought. Stay together?"

John-117 nodded his head. "I will."

"Good. I know you can do it. This is goodbye, John." Her body vanished as she walked through him.

He finally completed his mission. Looking at his new A.I. companion, he realized he was assigned a different mission by Cortana. Whatever the cost, John would keep his promise to her.