Chapter 1: The Flee

"Comrade, the last remnants of the Byzantine Empire fell to the Ottomans. We are doomed."

"Our glorious city has fallen, Michaelangelos. Constantine IX Palaiologos has commit suicide, and Mehmed has entered the gates of Constantinople. Our only hope is to flee to the Despotate of Epirus. What do you suggest?"

"I do not know, comrade. Even I am traumatized in this event. Our lord has forsaken us!"

"He abandoned us, his children. Us soldiers will be of no use in defending the great city. We could flee to Hagia Sophia and hopefully survivee, or we could flee to Epirus, as how I suggested earlier."

"I suggest we'd rather fight our way out to Epirus, but it will be risky. Our commanders are dead, and there will be no one to save us. It is better to flee this city." to which Michaelangelos replied "I do agree, Celerios."

The two decided to escape to Epirus, as Michaelangelos had a friend there named Kallistos V Andronikos, who was an officer of the Despotate, and Michaelangelos could make no better fate. After a long walk, Michaelangelos and Celerios reached the nearest city: Thessalonika, where they purchased a ship, then traveled back to the Despotate.

After passing the city of Constantinople, they sailed all the way to Epirus, where they would meet Kallistos. They then told him about what had happened, and he would join them, on the condition that he could get passage to Constantinople. He knew a smuggler from the North, who helped them get there. It took them several months to sail there, on the ship named Crepusculos, after the city they were heading to.

They arrived at Constantinople, and were surprised by the peace. The Ottomans has successfully made the city a quiet one. They had gained the people's favor, and surprisingly, they had refurnished the place.

"This is outrageous! The people were panicking when we left, but now, they favor these heretics!" says Michaelangelos. They had no way in retaking the city, so they decided to sail back home. The city of Nicopolis was their only choice, as they need to create an army to either hold their position or push the Ottomans away.

After 18 days of sailing back, they have arrived. The city's Despot, Romanus Psellos, had welcome the three men. Kallistos explained that they had to resist Ottoman invasions or the city will have the same fate of Constantinople. Romanus, after knowing this, had immediately raised an army of 8,000 men for Kallistos and Celerios to command. Romanus has also appointed Michaelangelos to "Dux" and commanded an army of 7,000 men.

He led them to Corinth, where they took the city back and repelled the Ottoman attacks, and finally, the Ottomans retreated back to Constantinople. As a reward for his help, the Despot of Epirus had rewarded them with land and authority. With this, they were close to retaking the entire region.

They then made their way back home, and the two divided the land.
Michaelangelos now controls the northwestern part of the country, which includes the city of Mytilene and the nearby island of Lesbos, and Kallistos takes the country of Evia and Thessaly, which include Athens, Corinth and several others. Celerios had become a trusted soldier of the Despot and was trusted with countless efforts in battle. The two, and their soldiers had become close companions and trusted warriors.

"It's a pleasure to know that, I, as well as Kallistos V and Michaelangelos, were successful, and our work wasn't in vain. We have taken the city of Corinth, and now, we must defend it." Says Celerios after their triumph.

"I agree, comrade. The Ottomans could invade us easily. We must try to convince the western empires to join us, or we may as well fall to the rule of the Ottoman Empire." Kallistos added.

The three commanders, along with their men, had travelled back to Patras, where word has reached them that an Ottoman Invasion is coming, and they had to defend the city. The local militia is only 2,000 strong, and combined with their forces, they only have 17,000 men to defend the city, while the scouts said that the Ottomans have 23,000 men. They are heavily outnumbered, so they had to rely on the city's defenses and tactics.

"Ready the men for battle, it would seem that every second we lose, the more they get closer. Assign them into their positions. The cavalry charge will be commanded by Celerios at the temple, while Michaelangelos will lead 3,000 infantrymen to hold the gates. I will take charge of the archer attacks and swarms so that we may hold the city!" Kallistos announced. The battle was inevitable, and when they lose, they would also lose the city's riches.

"Kallistos! They are here!" a soldier shouted. The Ottoman army, commanded by Mehmed II, has arrived. "Citizens of Patras! Give up the city to us, and there shall be no fighting involved." Mehmed said. The Turkish troops shout, and war cries can be heard from a distance.