I walked into the boardroom and my cheeks flashed as I realized I was the one holding everybody up.

"I'm sorry I'm late" I offered an apology with a small smile aimed at Mr Larson and he simply smiled back and nodded. I rushed to grab a chair and sit down to avoid further embarrassment.

As I sat down and turned my attention towards Mr Larson who was sitting at the head of the table, my eyes met one particular pair of green eyes that I never thought I'd get the chance to see again.

My breathe caught up in my throat as I stared at him. There was no way he was sitting at the same table with me right now. There was no way I was looking at him, right now, in the flesh.

I was expecting his eyes to at least flash with recognition, but they didn't. His eyes were cold and distant, and he looked away from me and turned his attention back to Mr Larson.

Blood was rushing through my ears and brain and I felt so close to passing out. I reached for the bottle of water set in front of me and took a long gulp, then tried my best to turn my attention back to Mr Larson.

He did not recognize me?

There was no way that he didn't. Absolutely no way. From the way he was sitting comfortably and totally unfazed by my presence, it seemed the man did not recognize me at all.

Or was he pretending?

Whatever the case was, I had to pull myself together and concerntrate on this meeting.

"So as you've been hearing, they've been rumours circulating about that I might be leaving soon. And I just want to confirm to you that those are lies. I am not leaving, but rather I am being forced into early retirement by some health complications. It took a lot of convincing from the doctor for me to come to this decision, but I finally agreed. I will still be running things in the company, but just not as actively anymore."

I felt sorry for Mr Larson. He looked legitimately heartbroken to be saying these words right now. This was not a decision that he took willingly and I felt for him.

"As you all know, I do not have an heir to succeed me...", he said pausing.

Another bump. Mr Larson had never remarried after his wife and three kids died in a car accident about 7 years ago. He had simply gone off the raider for a while then cane back all set and ready to continue with his empire.

"But I've definitely found a man close to it. Ladies and gentleman, allow me to introduce to you, Elijah Ross, your new CEO" He said motioning towards Elijah who stood up and shook his hand.

My head was spinning as I looked up at Elijah, clad in a black expensive suit as he smiled at everyone in the room as the clapped for him. He had grown taller. And bigger.

What was Elijah doing here, and how did he know Mr Larson? How had he ended up in such a position?

So many questions were swimming in my head. Questions I did not have the answers to. But one thing I did know, was that, I was not ready to see him again. And the fact that he was now my boss, made me feel sick to my stomach.

"And that is Miss Martin, the newly appointed head of the Risk Management Department" I heard Mr Larson introducing.

I turned towards them with a small smile and my eyes met Elijah's for the second time in over 6 years. Again, there was no flash of recognition in them. He gave me a bright megawatt smile as if he was not the devil in my life.

"Nice to meet you, Miss Martin. I look forward to working with you" he said in a baritone I did not recognize as his. He sounded so formal and in control.

Did he really not recognize me?

"Likewise Mr Ross" I replied and I was proud of how confident and strong my voice sounded.

Mr Larson continued with the introductions and went on to dismiss us, informing us that Elijah would be starting officially tomorrow.

When the meeting was dismissed, I was the first one out of the boardroom and I rushed to my floor. I got into my office, locked the door, rushed to the bathroom and puked my guts out.

My whole body was shaking and trembling and my stomach was turning. I tried to compose myself, but my stomach was determined to spill all it's contents into the toiled bowl.

I heard a faint knock on the door and willed myself to get up. But I couldn't.

How could this be happening to me?

*************†******************†********

New story here with weekly updates on Inkitt. It's a romance Novel.

Go follow me on Inkitt @dafreak08 for quicker updates.

Redemption will still be available on this platform. Love ya'll

B!