𝐒𝐢𝐱 | 𝐄

Even the birds seemed eager to chirp their happiest songs the next morning.

Once again, everything had changed in her life and yet nothing had changed.

Her delighted gaze welcomed the early sunlight and settled on the roof without much care for the rest of the world. She was finally at her own comfortable world and it mystified her little soul how peaceful the whole experience was. Maybe it was the softness of his bed beneath her, maybe it was the lack of unbearable burdens on her shoulders. But there was a newfound surge running through her, making her tingle with excitement as she thought of opening the window and flying with those high-spirited birds.

It felt as if she was over the clouds.

Even though last night's sleep was void of unexpected and terrifying nightmares or vague dreams, the reality was too good to be true. Was it all a fragment of her imagination or had it really happened?

Her fingertips touched the soft matrial of the mattress and it was enough assurance for her to know that life had actually returned to her broken soul. All she could think of was how the time froze and lost its meaning the instant Remus opened the door and wrapped his arms around her in the warmest embrace she had ever felt.

He had held her tightly, not wanting to let ago anymore.

He had inhaled deeply, not wanting to breathe without her anymore.

He too had been yearning for that moment.

She could still remember everything that happened last night...

An eternity had passed there in the middle of his office. Y/N was sure of it. He then momentarily pulled back from the hug to peer down at her with total adoration. Only his eyes could reveal how many nights he had stayed awake and stretched the time just for the possibility of her showing up at his door.

There was a sense of familiarity behind his soft expression. The kind that felt as if he was seeing right through her soul and at the same time memorizing every little detail about her face, fearing that she would fade away at any second. Sadness bubbled in her throat.

"This time, I really thought I'd lost you too." Remus whispered slowly, only for her to hear it.

The crack in his voice threatened to send fresh tears trickling down her cheeks, but he didn't allow their fall as he picked her up and freely spun around. It was something that never ceased to lighten up her mood. He had learned it years ago and it was a hopeful sign to know that he still remembered that specific detail about their past.

He probably had forgiven her.

She could only hope.

When they pulled back, her heart wrenched in protest and she nearly stopped Remus from walking to the other room. She didn't want to lose sight of his presence anymore, but she had to busy herself as she impatiently waited for his return. He was just around the corner, not too far away after all.

So instead, she ventured around the place. His office had the same inviting coziness exuding from every corner and crevice of it. The walls were painted in soothing earth tones, creating a sense of tranquility that mingled with orange hues of candlelight and wrapped around her like their owner's welcome hug. The desk was stacked with piles of papers and parchments, probably waiting for him to mark them.

Each part of the room screamed Remus.

And there were the scents. How could she have forgotten about the gentle fragrance of cinnamons that mingled with hints of wood, forest and more importantly chocolate to easily engulf her yearning sense?