A Warning

Perhaps some people were just born cruel. There was no other explanation for the horrors of the world. So many people lived their selfish lives, not spending a single thought on the pain they inflicted on others.

Some people were rich because they exploited others.
Some people fulfilled their sexual needs because they lied to others.
Some felt superior because they put down weaker members of society.

Everyone has greedy fantasies. Money and power are the most famous motivator for humans to mistreat each other.

Maybe it was in human nature. In their DNA. Were we designed like that?

To be the most obnoxious and voracious species on earth. Was that God's plan?
.
.
Little children shouldn't ask themselves that. Kids are supposed to be innocent and the backbone of our nation. Carefree little creatures, oblivious to the pain the whole world feels. They should try to make you feel better by "baking" you a little sand cake or singing you a nursery rhyme. Asking stupid questions and looking at their parent with curiosity when they get an answer.

So...

How should a mother react when her daughter asked her this?

"Mama."

The little girl stood next to her mother who was sitting on a bench. They were at a playground with lots of other kids running around. However, the little girl in question wasn't too keen on playing with anyone else.

"What is it, dear?" Her mother asked while simultaneously browsing through her phone, looking for a specific number to make another business call.

"Why are all these kids so happy?"

"What do you mean, (Y/N)?" Putting her phone down for a minute, the woman was interested in what her daughter had to say.

"Why are they so happy when they're still so many bad people outside?" Her question seemed genuine. Like the little girl couldn't imagine how children have no clue about all the corruption going on around them. How was she already aware of it?

Simple. Her mother cared for her child deeply, always warning her about stranger danger.

Don't open the door when we're away.
Don't go with anyone if they invite you.

Just. Don't trust anyone.

"Well, we can't always be sad over these things. Or else you'll never be able to enjoy something if you always think about negative things."

The woman didn't know what impact this statement made on her daughter. The little girl only nodded as she eyed the playground with furrowed brows.

So many murderers and rapists are free to roam the streets and no one else seems to care except for her.

In her little brain, she made a deadly connection.

If she can't weep over everything tragic going on, then when should she? How should she know when it was appropriate to be sad? Or maybe she wasn't supposed to feel bad about it at all.

There is no use in worrying. Nothing will change if she cries for victims of violence.

It simply didn't matter. None of it. People will always be cruel and she couldn't do anything about it.

Then...

Then... would it make a difference if she contributed?

If her being a perfect example of a kind person was not going to improve anything, maybe she can become a dangerous warning to force that change in the world.