Chapter 2 - Sociopathic Patriotism

'Norden Control to Fairy 08, Fairy 09. Artillery commencing observed fire. Send your data.'

"This is Fairy 08. Initial points of impact confirmed. Sending now. No need to adjust fire. I say again, no need to adjust fire. Initiate fire for effect."

The massacre continues. Dave is really disappointed by the look on his face. The only thing interesting for him is our artillery's accuracy in hitting shells.

'Norden Control, roger. Watch out for stray shots. We plan to begin concentrated fire in two hundred. Over.'

"Fairy 08, roger. Out."

"Dave, let's get some distance."

"Gotcha."

Then the bullet hell begins.

"Ah, now that's a more interesting show."

Well, he's having fun.

"Fairy 08 to Norden Control. Fire mission impact confirmed. Repeat."

'This is Norden Control with theater intelligence. Area α, blo— Bzzt...zzz.'

"Norden Control, this is Fairy 08. Reception is poor. The interference is awful. Over."

"Is the equipment not working?"

"Let me check."

As I look through the radio set checking for any problem, the two of us hear a message.

'Cherubim Leader issuing a theater warning! I say again, theater warning! Large number of incoming bogeys confirmed!'

"That's the guys patrolling in the front. They shouldn't be sending a message like this in normal circumstances."

Theater warnings aren't common in interception missions, only happening if the front line gets breached. That usually means one thing, especially considering the Empire's military power.

"Probably a group of competent mages. Get ready."

"Way ahead of you, Tanya."

'...Norden Control to all airborne interceptors on standby. Transition ROE from border patrol to mobile air defense. I say again, transition ROE from border patrol to mobile air defense.'

'Tally multiple bogey signals! Detecting formula interference! Consider them bandits! These are enemy signals! Take them out immediately!'

"Tanya, we're probably going to get attacked."

"That's true... If the lines up front can't deal with it, the mages will probably make it here."

That could be bad for me. I can't simply die here.

"Norden Control to all military forces. Norden Control to all military forces! A battalion of Entente Alliance mages has been confirmed violating the border. I say again, a battalion of Entente Alliance mages has been confirmed violating the border."

"They sound agitated. This is bad. If they panic and do something stupid, a lot of casualties will happen."

"I don't know why the mages weren't deployed sooner. I suppose that's why they caught us off guard."

The infantry had been obliterated by us and the tide of the battle had shifted from the original defense to a pursuit. By logic, they should've deployed these guys many minutes ago.

"Yeah. They wasted a lot of human lives with that trick. Still, they must be somewhat decent."

"That's just like you, to treat serious threats so casually."