One Shot

It had been months since you ended up here. The void was a cold and empty place. If someone somehow managed to find their way into this desolate wasteland, it was pretty much guaranteed they would be wiped from existence by the morning. Alioth always made sure of that. The only reason you're still breathing was due simply to pure luck. While you watched others get consumed by its clouds, you managed to take refuge in small caves, and abandoned underground hideouts. The void ended up becoming a lonely and empty place. There were many days where you would wander the wasteland alone, left only to your own thoughts.

Over time you had grown accustomed to the quietness you shared with yourself. Life was as good as it could get in the void, and you managed to take care of yourself well. That was until you found yourself stuck in the middle of a fight. It started off with simple bickering. Something about being the better variant, whatever that meant. You grabbed your bag full of goods, and decided that it was time to go. Fights in the void never ended well and you stood no chance against them. Sneaking around hiding behind whatever you could find, you thought you were finally in the clear.

"And where exactly do you think you're going?" Your heart sank, but you knew running wasn't going to work here. You took a deep breath and turned around. In front of you stood a tall man. He wore a dark green suit, slightly torn, with a presidential badge on the left side and a golden crown... with horns? He looked familiar. Like the person who attacked New York City in 2012, but you couldn't put a name to the face. Right now, you were too scared to even think.

"Cat got your tongue I see." He moved closer, taking in a better look at you. "Don't mind my variants they're prone to fighting, some would say it's in our nature." He shrugged. "Please don't hurt me." You managed to spit out. Your voice was shaking and you clung to your things. "I wasn't planning to. It's refreshing to see someone new for once. What's your name sweetheart?" You said your name back to him, keeping some distance. The man tilted his head and smiled. "My name is Loki." He turned to point at the others who were fighting. "And the same goes for them too. You shouldn't be out here on your own. Come back with me. We may be little chaotic but at least you won't be alone." He said. "Why? What would make you think I can trust you?" You spoke up. "Nothing, but if it's worth anything, you seem like you know what you're doing out here." He pointed to your bag. "And well, I need someone who can keep it together when we go out for material."

Reluctantly, you nodded. You weren't sure if you were making the right choice, but he had a point. If you played your cards right, at least you had a chance of making yourself into something here. "Come on, if you're going to run with us you can't afford to waste my time."

From that moment forward you became part of their group. At first it was a little bit awkward, it's not exactly like you were used to being in contact with so many variants, let alone one of a god. Eventually you got used to all the mischief they caused, mainly towards one another, and even befriended some of them. It was different with President Loki, however. No matter how much you were around him, you could never shake the uneasy feelings you felt. Most days it was tolerable because you only stayed around him for a short period of time. He often left the hideout with a select few. Something about finding some stray variants that he had issues with.

Today would end up being your first day going out on an expedition with the group. Usually, you would stay behind with a few others deemed 'not ready', staying at the hideout keeping watch until they came back. This morning, however, Loki approached you for the first time, requesting that you join him and a few others, saying that it was time for you to prove yourself. You could feel your stomach twisting into knots. Prove yourself? How absolutely insane of a request is that? You were just a simple human from earth, who happened to stray off their path one day. Now you were here, being asked by a literal god to prove your worth amongst the group.