The Catastrophic Collapse Of Casita and The Cowardly Cat

Почніть із самого початку

Isabela and Luisa look ashamed. Because of Alma yelling about their issues (powers and un-perfectness/no obedience) or because their younger sister is standing up to Alma. The two are powerless (and unbeknownst to us, are literally about to be).

But... Hurting this family? Haven't we been trying to help it? Isn't that what I JUST said less than three minutes ago? Okay, you know what? I've had it!

I. Have. HAD IT!

For the past ten years, Mirabel has been shunned by Abuela because she didn't get a gift like everyone else did! I mean— Yesterday, Abuela basically told her "Because you don't have a Gift, you can't help anyone, so step aside." And I've grown up feeling that way my whole life!

I have always felt as though because I'm scared of every little freaking thing, I couldn't uphold my species' honor! That I couldn't, in any given way, shape, or form, prevent the eventual inevitable extinction of my ancestors, the ocelot! That's why I set off to find a human civilization, so I could finally feel like I have a place where I ACTUALLY BELONG.

But Abuela only made that terrible feeling worse. I understand that she's gone through her fair share of hardships and generational trauma, as have I, but is that really an excuse to disown her GRANDDAUGHTER? Should I sprint up and blow that stupid candle out while I still can?

"And Oscar..." Abuela pointed a finger at me. Rage was boiling my skin third-degree, so I refused to subject to whatever she had to say. I may be a coward, but so help me Lord, I am not a quitter! I won't let my cousin's problems go ignored any longer! "After everything that this family has done for you... This is how you repay us. I am so... So disappointed in you—"

I growled. Loud enough for the entire house to hear. And it wasn't a friendly growl. At all.

"Don't you growl at me, Oscar!" Abuela snapped. "I will! I can growl at you, and I will! You see Mirabel as a nuisance to this family?! Who helped Antonio get his gift last night? Who figured out how to stop the cracks? And, mind you, who was the only one, besides me, who tried to seek answers on how to help Casita?"

I paused to take a few deep breaths. Everyone was watching now. Mirabel looked... Beyond shocked that I was standing up for her, even though I am well aware that she can do it herself. Sometimes one needs their furry friends in hardships such as these.

"But you are so set on keeping things the way they are, not changing them, that you'd rather pin ALL OF THE BLAME on Mirabel and I, than to try and step away and listen to someone else! Well, I'm getting sick and tired of this! It ends today!"

"Oscar Silvio Madrigal, watch your tone!"

"No, Oscar's right." Mirabel said. I stood firm and defiant on her shoulder. "No matter how hard any of us tries... Luisa won't be strong enough. Isabela won't be perfect enough. Oscar won't be fast enough, or brave enough. Bruno only left our family because you only saw the worst in him!"

"Bruno didn't care about this family!"

"Hogwash, he didn't!" I hissed, like hogwash was a curse word. "He LOVES this family! I love this family! Oscar loves this family! We all love this family! You're the one that doesn't care! You're the one breaking our home!" Mirabel stated defiantly. It's true! I love this family! More than anything!

"Don't you ever—!"

My anger reached its breaking point. The fur on my tail was puffed up completely. My lips drawn back in a snarl. She has interrupted us for the last time!

"¡CÁLLATE (Shut up/Silence)! ALMA, AND LET HER FINISH!" I screamed at the very top of my lungs, no longer caring if the entire Encanto could hear me. The whole family just heard me give off the rant of the twentieth century.