zero

Giselle E. Nelson was quite the patient person. 

     Growing up with her grandparents was really not as easy as it sounded. And, because of the elders' rapid aging, she was the one who did most of the chores around the house, while also focusing on her education. However, it wasn't like any of that bothered Giselle; she actually really enjoyed staying with her grandparents. When she was young, they always told her of myths and folktales and fairytales about worlds that were too good to be true—with kings and queens and magical elves. 

     Unfortunately, it was not meant to last. A few days after Giselle turned 15, her grandfather passed away in his sleep; and a month or two after that, so did her grandmother. 

     Giselle was completely alone in the world. She'd be sent to an orphanage if no one desired to take her in. Thankfully, one of her grandmother's friends had visited to say her goodbyes. 

     "And you must be Angelíta's grandchild. Come, there is a train we mustn't miss." The grey-haired woman instructed, her Colombian accent coloring her tone. "Also, you might find it useful if you found some more—uh—traditional attire." 

     This was Giselle's grandmother's dearest friend from when she was younger; her name was Alma Madrigal. And what she meant by traditional was that in el Encanto everyone dressed in a more vintage manner, since they were so isolated from the world. Judging by the blouses that Alma chose for Giselle it was clear, that back where the elder came from, they were still using the late 1960s to early 1970s style. 

     Giselle felt a bit odd trying out such vintage garments, but she couldn't help but think that she looked like a Disney Princess or something. 

     "It's you! You have an adventure to endure." Giselle told herself, looking in the mirror. 

     But anyway; Giselle had heard a few things about Alma. Her husband—Pedro Madrigal—had given his life to protect her and her three children from the war that was going on at the time. But, Giselle was never told what happened after that. 

     So after packing her belongings—and selling the house to a family that paid a good price for it—she followed after Alma onto the long train ride back to her home, Colombia. It would take six different wagon-rides to reach their destination, which meant it would take at least four days if there were no disturbances on the way. 

     Eventually, after a long two hours of silence, the elder woman began to talk of her family in el Encanto

     "Many years ago, a candle blessed our family with a miracle." She paused to collect her thoughts, "our house, our Casita, came to life with magic." She glanced down at Giselle—who had a confused expression on her face. "You will believe it, once you see it, child." She faced forward again, staring into the distance. "In time, every member of our family was given their own magical gift." 

     "I haven't the slightest clue what you mean by that, but I'd assume I am to find out soon." Giselle straightened her back, almost preparing herself for what was to come. But, oh boy, fixing her bad posture would not be enough for the trouble approaching.