"Don't throw your ten dollar words at me, fella, and don't try and kid a kidder. Avery's only thoughts are about Avery, and how he can keep his office here."

Aaron drew a chair over beside the bed and sat, notebook in hand.

"I gather you know our mayor."

"Know of him. That's plenty." Mayhew turned toward Aaron slightly. There was a pause, while the Governor shifted on his pillows, muttering. "You don't print anything without my approval young man."

"Wouldn't dream of it sir. May I say your treatment after the accident has been exceptional and you are recovering comfortably?"

"If this is gonna be a whitewash, you can pack your little book up right now."

"I am asking you, sir."

"Can't complain, I guess. Coulda been worse." He shifted again and asked Aaron to pass him his glass and bottle. "Want one?"

"No thank you, sir. What would you like me to say in my article?"

"What I want to know is how this librarian of yours - Folio is it? How she came to wipe out one of the most wanted gangs in this territory in a while . . . single handed."

Aaron crossed a leg over his knee and sat back. "That would be Miss Folio's story to tell, sir, but I can say to you, it was a self defence reaction that took those men completely by surprise, losing them any advantage. That was determined from her statement and from the stage driver's account."

"Gritty." Mayhew said, thoughtfully. "Well, the plan was for pictures and a big hoo haw presentation of a certificate from my office, and a reward of one thousand dollars cash. Pictures are out of the question now - wouldn't look good back home, me with this leg. Tell Avery I want to meet her still and give her those things, but it can be a small private meeting right here in the hotel."

Aaron jotted everything down, nodding and agreeing. "He'll be devastated." Aaron grinned.

"Do him good. Now, what did you want from me in this interview?"

"Well, Governor Sir, it's about your requests for ah- for company . . ." Mayhew's face closed and his lips disappeared. "Perhaps an arrangement could be made for a tour of the town's uhm, various businesses. You could spend a little time at each and ah, experience some hands on interest."

Mayhew squinted his eyes. "You suggesting this to protect my character or your town's?"

"A bit of both, I think."

"By God, you really have got sand, boy. How do I get around?"

****

Amanda stood by the tiny window in her room behind the livery, absently stroking the barrel of the gun she had taken from her father when she left home. A meagre display of stars popped in and out of the clouds and she felt the tears build in her eyes. She knew Harriet was right about them. She also knew her feelings toward Harriet. And she was positive about her feelings toward Aaron Trenholme.

****

"I don't know what you said to him but you should consider a political career of your own. He's a completely different man."

Aaron stood at the bar with Thomas enjoying a free beer for his handling of the Governor.

"It was a simple solution really. A tour of our town's businesses where he would show great interest in each place. Of course, Dolly's would be on the tour, and any time he spent there would appear to be a genuine part of the tour."

"Of course." Thomas smirked and swallowed some beer. "You know as well as I do there isn't a person in this town won't see through that." He rubbed a nervous hand across his brow.

"True, but if it satisfies Mayhew, well . . ."

"Just one flaw, Mr. Trenholme. I'm the one that has to wheel him around the town tomorrow in that new fangled chair the Doc has."

"Haha, make sure you stay clear of the ditches." Aaron slapped him good naturedly on the back.

"The drinks are free for you gents," Colleen stated, coming up between them and gripping their arms with her jewelled fingers. "Tuckerville Hotel is grateful for your help."

"Just make sure Dolly understands the arrangement. No mention of money to the Governor for his visit."

She winked and glided away with a swish of her gown. Across the room, the player piano began, featuring the newest paper rolls from back east.

****

The following day, after passing on the Governor's wishes to a dejected Mayor, Aaron went back to the hotel to advise Harriet. He knocked lightly on her door and released his breath when he heard her question who was there.

"It's Aaron, Miss Folio. I have some information to pass on to you."

Nearly a minute passed and he was about to knock again when the door opened and Harriet, looking tired, asked what he wanted. Aaron told her about the Governor's plan and how it would be a better arrangement for everyone, emphasizing no photographs. They could even have it in one of Colleen's private booths.

"Thank you. Please let me know the time. I will be here, resting."

"Are you alright? Should I ask Doc to—?"

"No. No thank you. I'm just very tired." She nodded and closed the door.

The Librarianजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें