Gambit had no easy answer for that.

"You awfully sure, for someone who don't know this world dat well," he finally said.

Wally shrugged. "How else are we gonna learn?"

"With this attitude, I'm amazed any of you go outside at all," Shine said. "Or is it that fact that we've told them you're mutants that matters? Because it was actually Rogue who did that. With the exception of Kurt, who was obviously one."

Rogue looked guilty as the others glanced at her.

"We are letting you take the risk," Shine said. "Whichever ones you choose to take. Only Billings and his wife know about that anyway. So there's nothing to get so worked up over. It's fine to go on vacations as long as no one knows you're a mutant until you have to fight over it, but not fine to go a few miles away to a potluck just because it might go south? We'll be in easy distance of help if it does."

Having made her case, she waited.

It was very hard to argue with this.

Gambit shut up, but was not convinced at all.

He was getting to his teammates more than they wanted to let on, but on the way Rogue said. "You think he could be right? Maybe I shouldn't have told the Reverend we were all mutants..."

"I'm sure if he had reacted at all amiss, we'd have noticed," Storm said comfortingly. "There were not many people there, if it came to a fight."

"As long as they don't have guns, " Wally said, not helping. "What are the gun laws in this timeline?"

"Doesn't matter, if they're criminals anyway," Shine said. "But I can't see it."

"You better hope the Cajun isn't right," Logan said. 

"And it would be our fault if he was?" Shine said. "There is no way to account for every possibility...and may I repeat, it's just a potluck."

"Yes, let's not argue," Jean said. "I'm sure nothing will happen." But she looked nervous.

* * *

There was a sizable crowd at the church. They'd set tables out between buildings and had pop-up tents also. 

The children were running around with a few outside toys on the front lawn, while the adults set up.

There were people who hadn't been there before, no doubt family members or friends who'd been invited or who wanted free food.

Kurt wasn't sure about this.

Of course, most of the congregation must have told their friends about the mutant who visited, because they all looked that way warily.

"I thought you were exaggerating," someone said. "But it's true. He looks like..."

"I don't like how they're looking at us like zoo animals," Scott said.

"We could give 'em a show," Logan said.

Shine glared at him. "Logan!" she said, in the same tone a mom might use if you swore in front of her, "if you attack church people, do you know how bad that is? You behave yourself, or you can go sit in the car till we're done."

"And what makes ya think I'll listen to you?" Logan said.

"Because if you don't, Scott will do it for me," Shine said, "rather than risk a scene. Isn't that right, Scott?"

"I...will have to reluctantly agree with her point." Scott seemed uncertain if he should be supporting her.

Logan glared at them both.